Stranded Pinoys urged to contact embassies to join flight home

By Joyce Ann L. Rocamora | Philippine News Agency

MANILA – Filipinos stranded abroad due to travel restrictions amid threats of the Omicron variant of the coronavirus are urged to contact the nearest Philippine Embassy or Consulates to join the earliest flight to Manila.

Based on the Department of Foreign Affairs’ (DFA) latest monitoring, about 50 Filipinos in Europe and 49 others in South Africa were stranded since the announcement of countries included in the red list.

“This is a little bit complicated so we need the cooperation of our kababayans because they have to transfer from one country to another to be able to join the repatriation flight,” Foreign Affairs Undersecretary Sarah Lou Arriola said in a Laging Handa briefing on Saturday (Dec. 4).

“Most of these are Bayanihan special repatriation flights. Dahil hindi po ganoon karami, sasakay po tayo sa commercial flights na to be termed as Bayanihan (because the number is small, they would have to board a commercial flight to be termed as Bayanihan).”

Arriola said two of its posts in Europe are in talks with a Dutch airline company to facilitate a “Bayanihan flight” for Dec. 13 with the Netherlands as the possible transit point.

South Africa, Botswana, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Lesotho, Eswatini, Mozambique, Austria, Czech Republic, Hungary, The Netherlands, Switzerland, Belgium, and Italy had been placed under the country’s red list.

Countries on the red list are deemed coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) high-risk areas and travelers from these countries are temporarily barred from entering the Philippines.

Except for Filipinos returning via special repatriation and “Bayanihan flights”, all inbound international travelers from these nations are barred from entering the Philippines. (PNA) – bny

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...