NDRRMC: ‘Odette’ death toll climbs to 407

By Priam Nepomuceno | Philippine News Agency

MANILA – The death toll for Typhoon Odette which battered the Visayas and Mindanao in December last year rose to 407, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) reported on Monday, Jan. 3.

In its situation report, the NDRRMC said only 75 of these deaths have been confirmed so far and 332 are undergoing validation.

It also reported a total of 1,147 injured persons, of which only 74 are confirmed so far while the total number of missing was placed at 78 with only nine validated.

The agency said damage to agriculture has also ballooned to P7.68 billion in 10 regions — Calabarzon, Mimaropa, Regions 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 11, 12, and Caraga.

Damage to infrastructure was placed at P16.9 billion in Mimaropa, Regions 7, 8, 10, 12, Caraga, and BARMM.

Typhoon Odette also left significant damage to houses in 10 regions along its path, with 582,626 either partially or totally damaged. (PNA) – bny

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...