OCTA: COVID-19 case increase still possible with 5k-10k daily new cases

By Myris Lee

The Philippines may experience a resurgence of COVID-19 infections but not as high as the projected 25,000 to 60,000 daily case increase by mid-May, Dr. Ranjit Rye of OCTA Research said on Tuesday.

“Tingin namin, it won’t be that high. It will not be that high, definitely. Our projections are more modest than that. What we are saying is that there is a very big possibility of cases going up,” he said. 

“Kaya ang panawagan namin…  mag-vax to the max na tayo. Kung hindi pa tayo nabu-booster, magpa-booster na tayo, kasi inevitable na tataas ang cases natin lalo na at bukas na ang ekonomiya, mayroon tayong mga bagong sub-variants now outside of the country and may come in,” he added.

According to Dr. Guido David, another OCTA Research fellow, a COVID-19 case resurgence may become possible when Omicron subvariants BA.4, BA.5, and BA.2.12.1 enter the country.

If this happens, David said active cases are projected to go up to 50,000 to 100,000 or by 5,000 to 10,000 per day, but it would not be as high as the Omicron surge earlier this year.

“Pag nakapasok ‘yung bagong subvariant dito sa Philippines, magkakaroon ngayon ng pagtaas ng cases. We are seeing a surge or increase in cases sa South Africa and Delhi, India and these are countries na medyo similar ‘yung characteristics sa Philippines,” David said.

“Pero at the same time, itong surge sa South Africa at saka sa India, bago pa lang sila so mino-monitor pa natin. Kasi kung maging mataas sila, magiging concern din tayo dahil baka maging ganiyan din iyong mangyari sa Philippines,” he said.– ag 

Popular

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...