DOH: 43 chikungunya cases recorded from January to late May

By Alec Go

The Philippines has recorded 43 cases of chikungunya infection from January 1 to May 21 this year, higher by 169% compared with the 16 cases recorded for the same period in 2021.

Based on the data provided by the Department of Health (DOH), most chikungunya cases were from Region 7 with 29 cases or 67% and Region 11 with 8 cases or 19%.

Thirteen cases were recorded between April 24 and May 21 this year, including 10 in Region 7 or 77% of the cases, and one each in Regions 11, Calabarzon, and Metro Manila. 

“There was no death reported among the chikungunya cases as of May 21, 2022,” the DOH said. 

 

The health department said Region 7 has the most number of cases cumulatively and recently.

“Of its 29 cases reported since the start of the year, 26 (90%) cases were recorded in April. However, from May 1-21, 2022, there were only two (2) cases reported in the said region,” it stated.  

According to the United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the common symptoms of the virus infection which is transmitted through infected mosquito bite are fever and joint pain.

The other symptoms are headache, muscle pain, joint swelling, or rash.  The DOH said symptoms appear four to seven days after an infected mosquito bite. There is still no vaccine for the virus.

Chikungunya outbreaks have been previously declared in Kiamba and Maitum in Sarangani, Villareal and Daram in Western Samar, Ma. Aurora in Aurora, Sindangan in Zamboanga del Norte, Sta. Rita in Samar, Concepcion in Romblon, Santiago in Agusan del Norte, and Patnongon in Antique.  – ag

 

Popular

DepEd launches ‘EduKahon’ kits to ensure learning continuity in calamity-hit schools

By Brian Campued In line with President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr.’s directive to strengthen the education sector’s preparedness during disasters, the Department of Education (DepEd)...

Torre says he has no ill feelings towards PBBM, DILG chief following relief 

By Brian Campued “Look at me straight in the eye, do I look like somebody who is bitter?” This was the response of former Philippine National...

PBBM to visit Cambodia, attend UN General Assembly

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. will embark on a state visit to Cambodia and later attend the...

PBBM eyes different gov’t post for Torre, Palace confirms

By Brian Campued President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is offering former Philippine National Police (PNP) chief PGen. Nicolas Torre III a different position in the...