Colombia enters 5th wave of COVID-19 pandemic

Xinhua News Agency

BOGOTA — Colombia has entered the fifth wave of the COVID-19 pandemic, so citizens should reinforce self-care measures and get vaccinated against the virus, Minister of Health and Social Protection Fernando Ruiz said Friday, July 8.

“Evidently we are in the fifth peak. It has been spreading in different cities, especially in urban areas … the number of deaths from yesterday (Thursday) indicates a relative stability compared to the previous week,” Ruiz said.

The official pointed out that people over 70 years old were most affected when taking into account last week’s death toll, while hospitalizations were up among unvaccinated young people.

“These two groups are highly sensitive. Young people, because a significant group has not been vaccinated, and in older adults, the issue of the booster is extremely important,” he explained.

Ruiz also stressed the need to accelerate testing to identify new cases in time, emphasizing that although the Omicron variant of the virus is dominant in the country and less lethal than others, it can still cause complications.

“We expect a fairly busy two or three weeks of infections, followed by a reduction … this is the time for getting vaccinated and being aware of a greater risk,” the minister warned.

The South American country registered 23,667 COVID-19 infections and 132 deaths in one week, bringing the total number to 6,198,848 cases and 140,202 deaths, according to the latest Health Ministry report. – gb

Popular

Student Beep card with 50% discount available starting Sept. 1 —DOTr

By Brian Campued The Department of Transportation (DOTr) is set to roll out white and personalized Beep cards to make commuting more convenient and more...

Palace: China cannot stop PH from asserting its territorial rights

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Friday reiterated that the Philippines will not be deterred in its efforts to defend its territorial and maritime interests in...

D.A. brings P20 rice to fisherfolk; affordable rice for jeepney, tricycle drivers soon

By Brian Campued As part of the continuous expansion of the “Benteng Bigas Meron (BBM) Na” Program of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. to various...

DepEd launches ‘EduKahon’ kits to ensure learning continuity in calamity-hit schools

By Brian Campued In line with President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr.’s directive to strengthen the education sector’s preparedness during disasters, the Department of Education (DepEd)...