DepEd: Sexual abuse allegations vs. 6 teachers ‘very disturbing’

By Stephanie Sevillano | Philippine News Agency

The Department of Education (DepEd) on Monday, Aug. 29, said authorities are taking the sexual harassment allegations against six teachers in Bacoor, Cavite “very seriously.”

In a Viber message to reporters, DepEd spokesperson Michael Poa said they find the information surfacing online “disturbing.”

“The allegations of sexual harassment in Bacoor National High School is very disturbing news and we are taking this very seriously,” he said.

Poa said an investigation is underway and the accused teachers have been placed in “floating status”.

“Upon inquiry, I was informed that the Schools Division Office was made aware of these allegations of sexual harassment last week and that an investigation has already started and is currently underway. There were six teachers mentioned in the posts. Said teachers were not given any teaching load pending initial investigation on the matter,” he added.

Amid allegations, the DepEd ensured they are firm to have “zero tolerance” against any form of abuse in schools nationwide.

The allegations originally posted on Facebook were taken down for “violation of community standards”.

However, a pinned Twitter thread is now circulating online, tweeted by Expresso, with username @expresso_o, which has gained almost 20,000 retweets and over 30,000 reactions.

Included in the thread were supposed conversations between teachers and learners either being asked about sexual experiences with gay or simply invited to meet them to “try” performing sexual activity.

A screenshot of a Facebook story of a teacher during the class opening week also included disturbing comments like “Ang daming masarap ha,” and “Ay nku, sinabi mo pa. Mga fresh…”

In the same thread, Bacoor City Mayor Lani Mercado-Revilla advised victims to file a formal complaint as they secure monitoring on the matter.

“This has been reported to the DepEd Regional Office and at present ongoing investigation. The teachers involved are no longer holding classes. We will be monitoring this issue. Best if the victims/ students file formal complaints to Bacoor Schools Division Superintendent,” she said.

Names of teachers were not disclosed as the probe continues.

Just last week, another teacher was subjected to administrative proceedings after allegedly “bullying” or causing verbal abuse to a grade 5 learner in Camarines Norte.

The learner was reportedly called “bruha, b*b*, animal” (witch, stupid, animal) by the teacher, being the last one to finish their writing activity.

The DepEd, meanwhile, provided psychosocial interventions to the affected learner. – gb

READ MORE: DepEd to implement ‘zero tolerance policy’ on alleged teacher’s bullying

Popular

Palace: China cannot stop PH from asserting its territorial rights

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Friday reiterated that the Philippines will not be deterred in its efforts to defend its territorial and maritime interests in...

D.A. brings P20 rice to fisherfolk; affordable rice for jeepney, tricycle drivers soon

By Brian Campued As part of the continuous expansion of the “Benteng Bigas Meron (BBM) Na” Program of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. to various...

DepEd launches ‘EduKahon’ kits to ensure learning continuity in calamity-hit schools

By Brian Campued In line with President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr.’s directive to strengthen the education sector’s preparedness during disasters, the Department of Education (DepEd)...

Torre says he has no ill feelings towards PBBM, DILG chief following relief 

By Brian Campued “Look at me straight in the eye, do I look like somebody who is bitter?” This was the response of former Philippine National...