LTFRB OKs return of 43 pre-pandemic routes, 3.5-K PUVs

By Raymond Carl Dela Cruz | Philippine News Agency

 

MANILA – The Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB) has approved the reopening of 43 pre-pandemic routes plied by 3,513 buses, jeepneys, and UV Express units (UVEs) as demand for public transportation continues to rise.

The routes are part of the Metro Manila Urban Transport Integration Study Update and Capacity Program (MUCEP), according to Memorandum Circular No. 2022-073 released by the LTFRB on Friday, Sept. 30.

Previously, there were 98 existing pre-pandemic routes that were authorized to resume but were found “insufficient to cater to the existing and anticipated passenger demand.”

Of the 43 new routes, 11 will be run by traditional public utility jeepneys (PUJ), five routes for modern PUJs, six routes for traditional UVEs, one modern UVE route, and 20 routes for public utility buses.

In a Facebook post, the LTFRB said a total of 1,675 PUBs have been authorized to operate in 20 routes.

“Ang pagbubukas ng mga naturang ruta ay pagtugon ng LTFRB sa pangangailangan ng pampublikong sasakyan sa gitna ng pandemya at pangkabuhayan ng mga (The reopening of these routes is the LTFRB’s response to the continued need for public transport amidst the pandemic and to support the livelihood of) PUV drivers,” the post read.

The LTFRB reminded PUV operators and drivers resuming services to follow the policies as prescribed in their Certificate of Public Convenience or face fines and penalties. (PNA)

 

Popular

PBBM admin addressing long-standing gaps in flood control system

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is addressing long-standing gaps in the country’s flood control system through new...

Malacañang bares 39 Metro Manila sites eyed for floodwater storage, retention projects

By Brian Campued As part of the government’s various initiatives to address perennial flooding in Metro Manila, a total of 39 sites across the capital...

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...