9 hostages still in ASG hands in Sulu

MANILA — Nine hostages, including six foreigners, are still being held by the Abu Sayyaf Group (ASG) in Sulu.

This was confirmed by Joint Task Force Sulu commander Brig. Gen. Cirilito Sobejana during the sidelines of the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council Yearend Meeting held at the AFP Commissioned Officers’ Club in Camp Aguinaldo, Quezon City Tuesday.

The remaining hostages consist of one Dutch, five Indonesians and three Filipinos.

Sobejana said that the latter are being held by the terrorists under ASG leader Radullan Sahiron.

Operations are still ongoing to ensure the safe recovery of the victims, he added.

An estimated 400 ASG members are still being hunted by military units in Sulu, the military official said. (PNA)

Popular

Reg’l security, ‘coercive acts’ top PBBM’s Japan visit agenda

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is expecting regional security, coercive activities and growing Indo-Pacific tensions to dominate...

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...