PH, US kick off 2nd joint patrol in the West PH Sea

The Philippine and the US naval vessels conduct their second maritime cooperative activity in the West Philippine Sea from Jan. 3 to 4. (Photo courtesy of WESCOM, AFP)

By Brian Jules Campued

The Philippines and the United States held its second maritime cooperative activity in theAFP West Philippine Sea on Wednesday, Jan. 3.

The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) said the bilateral event, which ends on Thursday, Jan. 4, included passing exercises, communication checks, cross-deck exercises, joint patrols, Officer of the Watch (OW) maneuvers, and fixed-wing flight operations.”

The AFP utilized four Philippine Navy vessels, a search and rescue multi-role helicopter, and an anti-submarine warfare capable helicopter.

Meanwhile, the United States Indo-Pacific Command (USINDOPACOM) deployed its four US Navy vessels, an aircraft carrier, a cruiser, two destroyers, and multiple combat aircraft.

Both the Philippine and the US assets performed advanced maritime communication exercises including division tactics, which the AFP explained as an “exercise to develop their confidence in maneuvering near other vessels.”

AFP Chief of Staff Gen. Romeo Brawner Jr. noted that the second joint maritime patrol is a “significant leap” in the alliance between the two countries and likewise promoting international order in the Indo-Pacific region.

“It also demonstrates our progress in defense capabilities and development as a world-class armed force, as we carry out our mandate to protect the people and the state,” Brawner said.

The first Philippine-US maritime cooperative activity was held on Nov. 21 to 23 last year. – cf

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...