MSU blast ‘mastermind’ killed in military ops – AFP

Military troops inspect several materials recovered following an encounter against the Dawlah Islamiyah-Maute Group in Lanao del Sur on Jan. 25-26, 2024. The DI-Maute Group was identified as perpetrators of the fatal bombing at Mindanao State University last December 2023. (Photo from: Armed Forces of the Philippines)

By Brian Jules Campued

The alleged mastermind in the bombing of the Mindanao State University (MSU) gymnasium in Marawi City last December 2023 was reportedly killed by military troops, the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) announced Monday.

In a statement, the AFP said the 103rd Infantry Brigade of the Philippine Army, led by Brig. Gen. Yegor Rey Barroquillo Jr., neutralized Khadafi Mimbesa alias “Engineer” during a military operation in Lanao del Sur last Jan. 25 and 26.

Mimbesa is said to be the amir of the Dawlah Islamiyah (DI), the group identified as perpetrators of the bombing incident at MSU last Dec. 3, 2023.

AFP Public Affairs Office chief Col. Xerses Trinidad added that Mimbesa’s death was confirmed by a surrendered terrorist identified as “Khatab”, a high-value individual of the DI-Maute Group who surrendered to the 2nd Mechanized Brigade on Sunday.

Soldiers recovered several materiel including nine high-powered firearms, one bandolier, four Baofeng radios, and a smartphone.

Meanwhile, AFP chief Gen. Romeo Brawner Jr. commended the efforts of the army and called on remnants of those responsible for the MSU bombing to surrender.

“Our troops will be relentless in the pursuit of those who will seek to disturb the peace. Take this as an invitation and a call to surrender now and avoid the same fate as your dead comrades,” Gen. Brawner added.

He likewise reiterated the commitment of the Armed Forces in ensuring peace and security in the Philippines. – avds

Popular

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...

PBBM rallies PMA graduates to remain loyal to the Constitution

By Brian Campued “As you take your oath today, remember that your loyalty is not to any political interest, not to any individual, nor any...