PBBM thanks US for giving aid to Mindanao calamity victims

PH-US ALLIANCE: President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. talks to United States Ambassador to the Philippines MaryKay Carlson at MalacaƱang on Tuesday, Feb. 13, 2024. During the courtesy call, Marcos thanked the US government for extending assistance to calamity victims in Mindanao. (Photo from PCO)

By Brian Jules Campued

President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. thanked the United States government for extending emergency assistance to communities affected by flooding and landslides in several provinces in Mindanao, the Presidential Communications Office said Wednesday.

President Marcos expressed his gratitude to the US during the courtesy call of Ambassador to the Philippines MaryKay Carlson in MalacaƱang on Tuesday.

According to Carlson, Washington was pleased to bring its two C-130 aircrafts from Indo-Pacific Command (INDOPACOM), ā€œalthough it is not the cheapest or the easiest way to deliver foreign assistanceā€.

ā€œBut when you ask and you need it we are here. Teams come from USAID (United States Agency for International Development), JUSMAG (Joint United States Military Advisory Group), and our team from INDOPACOM… just how impressive your own DSWD (Department of Social Welfare and Development) is in coordinating the relief supplies,ā€ Carlson said.

On Monday, said aircrafts from the US Marine Corps delivered at least 4,800 boxes of family food packs from the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) to the affected families in Davao and Caraga Regions, the Armed Forces of the Philippines said.

ā€œA total of 12 sorties were planned for the two aircraft in order to deliver up to 15,000 family food packs in the operation that will last until Feb. 14,ā€ AFP added.

Last week, Marcos ordered the release of P265 million in relief aid from his office on top of the emergency financial assistance provided by the DSWD.

The US government has also offered US$1.25 million in emergency support, Carlson said.

ā€œThere’s so much that can be done more efficiently through the mechanism that exists… but sometimes you just need an extra push and it is also a good demonstration of how good the alliance can deliver,ā€ Carlson added.

Meanwhile, Marcos encouraged the ambassador to ā€œmake full useā€ of the Enhanced Defense Cooperation Agreement (EDCA) sites for disaster relief and response operations.Ā – avds

Popular

Updated cash aid, transport support discussed during 7th UPLIFT Committee meeting led by PBBM

By Brian Campued As part of the continuous whole-of-government efforts to protect Filipinos from the impact of Middle East tensions on energy, transport, and food...

PBBM earns praise for role as ā€˜peacemaker’ in PH, Thailand, and Cambodia talks

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Not long after decades of tension between Thailand and Cambodia boiled over in 2025 and resulted in months of trading gunfire...

PBBM, U.S. official tackle Luzon economic corridor, investments

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. met with the United States (US) Undersecretary of State for Economic Growth,...

Reg’l security, ā€˜coercive acts’ top PBBM’s Japan visit agenda

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is expecting regional security, coercive activities and growing Indo-Pacific tensions to dominate...