READ: Statement of DA Sec. Francisco Tiu Laurel Jr. on the suspension of 139 NFA officials

Department of Agriculture (Photo courtesy of DA / Pixabay)

Today, we are implementing the preventive suspension order of the Ombudsman against 139 officials and employees of the National Food Administration (NFA) who are being investigated for alleged involvement in the controversial sale of rice buffer stocks.

The suspended NFA officials include administrator Roderico Bioco, assistant administrator for operations John Robert Hermano, and several regional managers and warehouse supervisors all over the Philippines.

Kinokondena at hindi palalampasin ang anumang uri ng korapsyon. Kaisa ako ng Ombudsman sa layunin nitong alamin ang katotohanan at parusahan ang
dapat maparusahan.

I have been in contact with the Office of the Ombudsman ever since this controversy erupted. I also created a special panel of internal investigators to determine culpability and see how we can prevent it from happening again in the future.

To avoid any delays in the services and projects of the agency, I will temporarily take over the leadership of the NFA. Apart from the suspended NFA personnel, who as we speak after being served their suspension letters, we expect everyone in the agency to do their regular jobs to ensure that our countrymen are provided the service they deserve.

NFA administrator Bioco had earlier filed a leave of absence to allow investigators a freehand to undertake the probe, which we expect will go beyond this controversy. We intend to dig deep as far as 2019 at least and welcome those who would come forward to assist us in cleansing the NFA.

The preventive suspension will allow the Ombudsman to secure all the documents and other evidence relating, but not limited, to the sale of rice buffer stocks that is greatly disadvantageous to the government. The Ombudsman and the Department of Agriculture has been coordinating on this investigation that could go back years.

Rice is the main food staple of tens of millions of Filipinos, particularly the poor. We cannot allow those who have been entrusted this noble task to bilk the NFA, enriching themselves at the expense of millions who struggle every day for a chance feed their families.

We beg your indulgence that we cannot discuss more than what we have said about this issue since the Ombudsman and DA investigations are still ongoing.

Rest assured that once we have results, we will immediately inform the public.

Popular

NMC backs DND over infra works, dev’t in West PH Sea features

By Brian Campued The National Maritime Council (NMC) on Saturday expressed support for the Department of National Defense (DND) for its rejection of recent statements...

Filipino astrophysics students’ ‘Double Gyroscope’ experiment performed by NASA astronaut in space

By Brian Campued An experiment designed by Filipino students was recently carried out by a National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) astronaut aboard the International...

Can an arrest warrant be served to a suspect’s lawyer? NBI says no

By Brian Campued A warrant of arrest cannot be served to a suspect’s legal counsel, according to the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI). In a press...

Palace declares May 27 regular holiday for Eid al-Adha

By Brian Campued Malacañang has declared May 27, 2026 a regular holiday in observance of Eid al-Adha or the “Feast of Sacrifice” in Islam. The announcement...