Lawmaker seeks probe into Pentagon’s ‘secret’ anti-COVID vax drive

VACCINE ROLLOUT. Health workers in Bacoor, Cavite received their initial allocation of Sinovac vaccines on March 10, 2021. (Photo courtesy of Avito C. Dalan/PNA)

By Zaldy De Layola | Philippine News Agency

House Deputy Minority leader and ACT Teachers Party-list Rep. France Castro on Monday called on Congress to investigate the exposé that the United States’ Pentagon ran a secret anti-vaccination campaign during the COVID-19 pandemic as previously reported by an international news agency. 

“It is imperative that we ascertain the extent of the damage caused by this secret campaign and hold those responsible accountable. The Philippines was one of the areas targeted by this operation, and therefore, it is our duty to safeguard our nation’s sovereignty and protect our people’s health,” the solon said.

This revelation is deeply concerning and requires immediate investigation, she added.

“Through the use of fake social media accounts impersonating Filipinos, the campaign spread anti-vaccine messages, specifically targeting China’s Sinovac vaccine,” she said.

The scope and reach of this campaign, Castro said, are alarming as the news agency identified over 300 fake accounts on X (formerly Twitter) that were created in the summer of 2020.

According to the lawmaker, the impact of this operation on public health cannot be overstated. Public health experts have rightfully criticized this campaign for endangering lives and undermining trust in vaccines, including those manufactured in the US.

Moreover, the campaign contributed to vaccine hesitancy in the Philippines, a country where vaccine coverage was already limited, leading to unnecessary loss of lives, Castro said.

She said it is deeply concerning that the Pentagon overrode objections from US diplomats in Southeast Asia, who cautioned against such a campaign during a health crisis.

Castro emphasized the importance of transparency, truth, and ethical conduct, especially during a global health crisis. These matters are deeply concerning and demand immediate attention.

Popular

Palace declares May 27 regular holiday for Eid al-Adha

By Brian Campued Malacañang has declared May 27, 2026 a regular holiday in observance of Eid al-Adha or the “Feast of Sacrifice” in Islam. The announcement...

DOJ tasks PNP, NBI to ‘effect the arrest’ of Bato

By Brian Campued “We’re pursuing this so that the ends of justice may be achieved.” The Department of Justice (DOJ) has given the greenlight for law...

PH earns 76/100 transparency score in int’l survey

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “These achievements are encouraging. For us in government, these however, are not the destination.” In his keynote speech on Wednesday, Department of...

PBBM to LGUs: Ensure efficient use of budget for community empowerment

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Wednesday urged local government units (LGUs) to ensure the prudent and...