6 dead, 11 hurt as cyclones, ‘habagat’ dampen PH

EVACUATION. Personnel from the Philippine Coast Guard and Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office in Occidental Mindoro evacuate residents in Rizal town on Saturday (Sept. 14, 2024) due to the effects of the enhanced southwest monsoon (habagat). As of Monday (Sept. 16, 2024), the NDRRMC said the effects of tropical cyclones Ferdie and Gener and the enhanced habagat reportedly claimed six lives and injured 11 individuals. (Photo courtesy of Coast Guard District Southern Tagalog)

By Priam Nepomuceno | Philippine News Agency

At least six persons were reported dead and 11 others injured due to the combined effects of tropical cyclones Ferdie and Gener and the enhanced southwest monsoon (habagat), the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said Monday.

The agency, in its latest situation update, said the reported fatalities include four in the Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (BARMM) and two in Zamboanga Peninsula.

Meanwhile, the injured persons include nine in the BARMM and two in Soccsksargen.

The casualty reports are undergoing validation, the disaster response body said.

Two persons in Western Visayas and Zamboanga Peninsula were also reported missing.

The inclement weather has so far affected 86,140 families or 337,506 persons in 662 villages in Mimaropa, Bicol, Western Visayas, Central Visayas, Zamboanga Peninsula, Northern Mindanao, Davao region, Caraga, and BARMM.

Of this figure, 9,665 families or 33,233 individuals are being aided in 409 evacuation centers, and another 6,835 families or 29,125 persons are being helped outside.

Some 209 houses were also damaged in six regions, the NDRRMC added.

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...