Heavy rains due to ‘Querubin’, shear line may cause lahar flow, PAGASA warns

Kanlaon volcano is seen from a village in La Castellana town, Negros Occidental province on Dec. 10, 2024, a day after its eruption, which sent a huge ash column high into the sky as the government ordered the evacuation of surrounding villages. (Photo by FERDINAND R. EDRALIN / AFP)

By Brian Campued

Residents near Kanlaon Volcano are warned of possible lahar flow, triggered by heavy rains brought by Tropical Depression Querubin and the shear line, according to PAGASA.

In a public briefing Tuesday, PAGASA weather specialist Veronica Torres said that the two weather systems are forecast to bring moderate to heavy rains over Negros Island Region starting Wednesday afternoon (Dec. 18).

“Ingat lalo sa mga areas na malapit sa Mt. Kanlaon dahil posible nga ‘yung lahar kapag nagkaroon ng malalakas na pag-ulan,” Torres said.

The Office of Civil Defense-Western Visayas (OCD 6) earlier urged residents in Negros Occidental to stay updated, be familiarized with the nearest evacuation centers, and avoid hazardous areas identified as lahar-prone.

According to Raul Fernandez, OCD 6 director and head of the Regional Task Force Kanlaon, a total of 162 barangays in Bago City, La Carlota City, Pontevedra, Pulupandan, San Enrique, Valladolid, Binalbagan, Himamaylan City, Hinigaran, Isabela, La Castellana, and Moises Padilla (Magallon) are particularly at risk to volcanic hazards.

“Your safety is our top priority. We must remain vigilant and prepared as we face the challenges posed by these weather conditions,” Fernandez said in a statement.

Alert Level 3 is still raised in Kanlaon following an eruption on Dec. 9, indicating the possibility of more explosive eruptions in the coming weeks due to magma near or at the volcano’s surface.

-av

Popular

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...

PBBM rallies PMA graduates to remain loyal to the Constitution

By Brian Campued “As you take your oath today, remember that your loyalty is not to any political interest, not to any individual, nor any...