DOE on high alert for elections; contingency measures activated

Electricity lines. (Photo courtesy of Pixabay)

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency

On the eve of the May 12 national and local elections, the Department of Energy (DOE) raised a heightened alert status to ensure a stable and uninterrupted power supply nationwide.

The Energy Task Force Election, led by DOE Undersecretary Felix William Fuentebella, began round-the-clock operations on Sunday, May 11, the agency said in a news release.

The task force was activated to prevent power disruptions and safeguard the integrity of the electoral process.

It is composed of government energy agencies, private transmission and generation firms, distribution utilities, and other stakeholders tasked with implementing coordinated preemptive measures and rapid-response protocols throughout the election period.

“All hands are on deck. The entire energy sector is fully mobilized and working in full coordination to ensure an unimpeded and reliable power supply, along with adequate fuel availability, for tomorrow’s (Monday, May 12) national and local elections,” Energy Secretary Raphael Lotilla said.

The DOE confirmed that nationwide readiness checks have been completed, contingency protocols have been activated and energy sector command centers are fully operational.

These include facilities from the National Grid Corporation of the Philippines (NGCP), National Electrification Administration, Manila Electric Company (Meralco), and DOE’s Energy Sector Emergency Operations Center.

All command centers are equipped with real-time monitoring systems and technical response teams. Operations will remain on heightened alert until May 13.

The DOE also urged the public to report service interruptions or power-related incidents to their local distribution utilities, stressing the importance of public vigilance.

Sufficient reserves so far

Meanwhile, the NGCP reported that all transmission lines and facilities are operating under normal conditions as of 11 a.m. on Sunday, May 11.

In Luzon, available capacity stood at 17,195 megawatts against a demand of 10,028 megawatts. The Visayas grid posted 3,138 megawatts in capacity with demand at 1,957 megawatts, and Mindanao recorded 3,615 megawatts in capacity and 1,835 megawatts in demand. (PNA)

Popular

Can an arrest warrant be served to a suspect’s lawyer? NBI says no

By Brian Campued A warrant of arrest cannot be served to a suspect’s legal counsel, according to the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI). In a press...

Palace declares May 27 regular holiday for Eid al-Adha

By Brian Campued Malacañang has declared May 27, 2026 a regular holiday in observance of Eid al-Adha or the “Feast of Sacrifice” in Islam. The announcement...

DOJ tasks PNP, NBI to ‘effect the arrest’ of Bato

By Brian Campued “We’re pursuing this so that the ends of justice may be achieved.” The Department of Justice (DOJ) has given the greenlight for law...

PH earns 76/100 transparency score in int’l survey

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “These achievements are encouraging. For us in government, these however, are not the destination.” In his keynote speech on Wednesday, Department of...