CEBU CITY — Starting Monday, vehicles caught counter-flowing traffic in the streets of Cebu City will be impounded for a month.
This was announced Saturday by Cebu City Traffic Operations Management (Citom) chief Francisco Ouano, who said they had already formed mobile teams just for the purpose of apprehending violators of this newly-approved Executive Order (EO) of Mayor Tomas Osmeña.
“Starting Monday, we will surely impound any vehicles, including motorcycles, caught counter-flowing the traffic in the city,” Ouano said.
“The mayor said this is one way to discipline those motorists who cause traffic congestion because of their counter flowing,” he added.
On Friday, Osmeña signed the EO allowing traffic enforcers to impound for a month vehicles caught counter-flowing.
“I just don’t want people to be abusing. There are several drivers who counter-flow and we are going to be very strict with these violators,” the mayor earlier said.
Violators of the EO will not only get his vehicle impounded but will also lose his driver’s license aside from paying a fine.
Under the EO, motorcycle drivers using the sidewalks will also be apprehended. (PNA)