Temporary suspension of classes up in selected W. Visayas LGUs

ILOILO CITY – Several local government units in Western Visayas have declared temporary suspension of classes Tuesday (Feb. 13) as tropical cyclone warning signal number 1 is hoisted over the provinces of Negros Occidental, Guimaras, Iloilo, Capiz, Aklan and Antique.

As of 6 a.m. Tuesday, the Regional Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (RDRRMC) reported that Western Visayas has been experiencing scattered rainshowers from moderate to occasional heavy rains associated with moderate strong wind blows due to tropical storm “Basyang” (international name Sanba).

Mayor Alan Celino of Roxas City declared the suspension of classes in all levels for both public and private schools in anticipation of possible flooding. The town of Dumalag also in Capiz ordered the sispension of classes.

Capiz PDRRM Officer Esperidion Pelaez said that all low-lying areas had been alerted for possible flooding.

Meantime, the suspension of classes in Bacolod City and Escalante City in Negros Occidental covered pre, elementary and high school levels.

In Iloilo provinces, the towns of Alimodian, Anilao, Banate, Barotac Viejo, Cabatuan, Calinog, Concepcion, Dumangas,Dingle, Dumangas, Janiuay, Leganes, Miagao, Mina, New Lucena,Passi City, Pavia, Pototan, San Enrique, San Miguel, San Dionisio, Tigbauan, and Zarraga also declared temporary suspension of classes.

In Iloilo City, Executive Order 15, series of 2018 was signed Monday evening by Atty. Hernando Galvez by authority of the mayor suspending classes from pre-school and elementary level this Feb. 13.

Donna Magno, head of the Iloilo City Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office said that they were continuously monitoring the situation and so far water level in the city was normal.

She added that should heavy rains occur, they would activate their operation center at the Iloilo City Hall penthouse, although villages have been alerted to be vigilant. (Perla Lena/PNA)

Popular

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...

PBBM: Pax Silica a ‘good deal’ to attract more investments

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday described the Pax Silica initiative as a “good deal,” saying...

Palace defends P7.2T budget, urges critics to study spending plan

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency Malacañang on Thursday hit back at critics of the proposed P7.2-trillion 2027 national budget, telling lawmakers to...