Second suspect in Demafelis murder arrested in Syria: DFA

MANILA — The second suspect in the brutal murder of overseas Filipino worker Joanna Demafelis is now in the custody of Syrian authorities, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) announced Saturday night.

The arrest of Mona Hassoun, wife of Nader Essam Assaf, the principal suspect in the murder of Demafelis, was done less than two days after the latter was held in custody of Lebanon authorities.

Citing an initial report from Philippine Ambassador to Kuwait Renato Villa, DFA Secretary Alan Peter Cayetano said Hassoun was arrested with her husband in Syria where the two fled after leaving Kuwait last year.

The official said Assaf, who is a Lebanese national, was immediately turned over to Lebanese authorities on Thursday.

The two were taken into custody after Kuwaiti authorities requested the assistance of Interpol in locating and arresting them.

For his part, Cayetano assured that with the two suspects now arrested, the DFA and the Department of Labor and Employment will follow President Rodrigo Duterte’s instructions to “vigorously pursue justice” for Demafelis.

DFA earlier relayed expectations that Kuwaiti authorities will request the extradition of the suspects to stand trial in Kuwait.

Demafelis, a Filipina from Sara, Iloilo was reported missing in 2016.

Early February, her battered body was discovered inside a freezer in the couple’s abandoned apartment. (PNA)

Popular

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...

PBBM: Pax Silica a ‘good deal’ to attract more investments

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday described the Pax Silica initiative as a “good deal,” saying...

Palace defends P7.2T budget, urges critics to study spending plan

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency Malacañang on Thursday hit back at critics of the proposed P7.2-trillion 2027 national budget, telling lawmakers to...