Comelec: Palace statement to end ‘uncertainty’ of village polls’ fate

MANILA — The Commission on Elections (Comelec) is hoping that Malacanang’s pronouncement stating that this year’s Barangay and Sangguniang Kabataan Elections (BSKE) will push through, will put an end to the uncertainty on whether to postpone it or not.

“This is something that the people should be aware of, because the President is all too often used as an excuse (to postpone BSKE),” Comelec spokesperson James Jimenez said in an interview Tuesday.

On Monday, the Palace announced that the village and youth polls will push through as scheduled on May 14.

“PRRD wants #BSKE2018 to push thru as (re- re-)scheduled. The @COMELEC stands ready to comply. So should everyone else *cough* be,” said Jimenez in his Twitter account (@jabjimenez).

There are two bills filed in the House of Representatives seeking to again postpone the Barangay and SK polls, to accommodate a plebiscite for proposed Constitutional amendments.

The bill sponsored by Surigao del Sur Rep. Johnny Pimentel is looking to defer the polls to October 2018, while the measure being push by Oriental Mindoro Rep. Reynaldo Umali would like to hold it on May 2019.

Earlier, Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said that the Senate seems not supportive for another postponement of the barangay and youth elections.

The BSKE was supposed to be held on Oct. 31, 2016 but was moved to Oct. 23, 2017 and eventually rescheduled to May 14 this year. (Ferdinand Patinio/PNA)

Popular

PBBM, U.S. official tackle Luzon economic corridor, investments

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. met with the United States (US) Undersecretary of State for Economic Growth,...

Reg’l security, ‘coercive acts’ top PBBM’s Japan visit agenda

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is expecting regional security, coercive activities and growing Indo-Pacific tensions to dominate...

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...