IS releases video of deadly ambush in Niger

A combination photo of U.S. Army Special Forces Sergeant Jeremiah Johnson, left to right, U.S. Special Forces Sgt. Bryan Black, U.S. Special Forces Sgt. Dustin Wright and U.S. Special Forces Sgt. La David Johnson killed in Niger, West Africa, Oct. 4, 2017, in these handout photos released Oct. 18, 2017. (Photo Courtesy of Reuters)

A propaganda video released by Islamic State appears to show an ambush in Niger that killed four American soldiers last year.

In the video, three American soldiers have few resources to fight off dozens of militants armed with machine guns and grenades. Part of the nine-minute recording appears to be taken from the helmet camera of one of the fallen soldiers. That segment shows two other soldiers shooting and running beside an SUV while taking fire near the village of Tongo Tongo.

The video ends with the soldier wearing the camera falling and being surrounded by militants who shoot at him.

The Pentagon on Monday said it was aware of the video. “The release of these materials demonstrates the depravity of the enemy we are fighting,” it said.

The ambush on Oct. 4, 2017, prompted an investigation by the Pentagon into whether the soldiers were appropriately trained and armed for a mission in the west African nation. The results are expected to be released this month.

A team of 12 soldiers was on a mission with a team of Nigerien troops.

Army Sergeant La David Johnson and Staff Sergeants Bryan Black, Jeremiah Johnson and Dustin Wright were killed in the ambush. | via Voice of America

Popular

Reg’l security, ‘coercive acts’ top PBBM’s Japan visit agenda

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is expecting regional security, coercive activities and growing Indo-Pacific tensions to dominate...

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...