Army always open to peaceful conflict resolution with NPA

MANILA — The Philippine Army (PA) is always open to settle the ongoing conflict with the New People’s Army (NPA) peacefully.

This was stressed by PA spokesperson Lt. Col. Louie Villanueva after President Rodrigo Duterte earlier said he would pursue efforts for peace with the enemies of the states including communist rebels despite his decision to terminate talks with them last year.

“The PA, we are the forces on the ground, nandun lagi yung interest natin na magkaroon ng settlement itong issue na to ano (the interest to reach a settlement of this issue is always there). (In) the first place, it’s always us who are (in) the verge of conflict, kami lagi ang naapektuhan dito, and kung maitutuloy ito, magandang (development) ito (we are the ones who are always affected by this conflict and if this will push through, it will be a good development),” he added.

But Villanueva said that the NPAs should show sincerity and fully comply with the ceasefire once it is in place.

Duterte, on Nov. 23 signed Proclamation 30, ordering the termination of all peace negotiations and meetings with the rebel group.

The termination was an off-shoot of the rebel atrocity and other acts of violence against civilians, and security forces. (Priam Nepomuceno/PNA)

Popular

DOJ tasks PNP, NBI to ‘effect the arrest’ of Bato

By Brian Campued “We’re pursuing this so that the ends of justice may be achieved.” The Department of Justice (DOJ) has given the greenlight for law...

PH earns 76/100 transparency score in int’l survey

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “These achievements are encouraging. For us in government, these however, are not the destination.” In his keynote speech on Wednesday, Department of...

PBBM to LGUs: Ensure efficient use of budget for community empowerment

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Wednesday urged local government units (LGUs) to ensure the prudent and...

ICC warrant vs. Bato ‘valid’ after SC rejection of TRO request —Palace

By Brian Campued The warrant of arrest issued by the International Criminal Court (ICC) against Sen. Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa is “valid,” according to Palace...