Gensan’s ‘Assassin’ to fight for interim WBA Bantamweight title

DAVAO CITY — Undefeated Reymart “Gensan Assassin” Gaballo of the Philippines will fight for the interim World Boxing Association (WBA) World Bantamweight title on March 23 at the Seminole Hard Rock Hotel and Casino in Hollywood, USA.

Gaballo (18 wins with 16 knockouts) is facing the dangerous American Stephon “Showstopper” Young in the main event of the “Rumble at the Rock” boxing card of promoter Kris Lawrence of The Heavyweight Factory.

Young, 29, is also still unbeaten with 17 wins, seven by knockouts and three draws.

He won the vacant WBA-NABA bantamweight title by a majority decision against Juan Antonio Lopez in 2016.

Gaballo is making his third fight abroad after making his impressive debut by stopping Mexican Ernesto Guerrero via a second round technical knockout win last November 15 at the Hawaii Events Center in Honolulu.

The 21-year-old native of General Santos City then went to Mexico to pummel to submission another Mexican Ulises Rivero by a 6th round TKO at the Domo Deportivo, Tulum.

Gaballo’s stablemate “Magic” Mike Planilla, also an undefeated fighter from the Sanman Boxing Stable in General Santos City, is also seeing action in the undercard.

Plania (15W-0L,7 KOs) will be fighting former WBA-IBO bantamweight world champion Juan Carlos Payano (19W-1L) of Dominican Republic for 10 rounds.

Payano lost both his IBO world bantamweight and WBA super world bantamweight titles to Rau’shee Warren by a majority decision during their rematch in 2016 in Chicago.

“Plania is facing his toughest test in his career against former world champion Payano,” said Sanman Chief Executive Officer Jim Claude “JC” Manangquil.

Plania previously won by a decision against Mexican Roel Lazaro Perez last December in Quintana Roo, Mexico. (Lito delos Reyes/PNA)

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...