Security preps in place for Guimaras’ ‘Pagtaltal sa Balaan Bukid’

ILOILO CITY — The Guimaras Police Provincial Office (GPPO) is now ready with its security measures in anticipation of the influx of visitors and pilgrims for the “Pagtaltal sa Balaan Bukid,” this coming Good Friday in Jordan, Guimaras.

In his security presentation before the provincial government, GPPO’s Chief Inspector Raymond Cruz said that close to 400 security personnel and force multiplier will be deployed to secure the route of the procession.
They have also made proper coordination with other law enforcement agencies, security forces and emergency response service providers for the “Task Group Pagtaltal 2018” to provide maximum security coverage, public safety and emergency response to pilgrims.

The local police is expecting to breach the 32, 871 visitors who joined last year’s religious event as they also target for zero incidents this 2018.

Last year, the GPPO only recorded three incidents during the holding of the ‘Pagtaltal’.

The annual Lenten event has evolved from being a stage play to a street drama of the passion of Christ.

The theatrical presentation of the “Passion of Christ” starts with the triumphant approach of Jesus Christ to Jerusalem portrayed at the world’s smallest plaza in Jordan’s Barangay Poblacion and ends with “Pieta” at the highest point of Guimaras at the Balaan Bukid Shrine in Barangay Balcon Melliza.

It will gather more than 100 characters for the presentation followed by devotees as they walk for more than two kilometers passing 14 stations before they reach the mountain top of the province known as the Balaan Bukid.
“Pagtaltal” in local dialect means to remove thus, the street drama ends with the removal of Jesus from the Cross and laid before the arms of His Mother.

The visit to Balaan Bukid is one of the Lenten activities being recommended by the Department of Tourism. (Perla Lena/PNA)

Popular

PBBM admin addressing long-standing gaps in flood control system

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is addressing long-standing gaps in the country’s flood control system through new...

Malacañang bares 39 Metro Manila sites eyed for floodwater storage, retention projects

By Brian Campued As part of the government’s various initiatives to address perennial flooding in Metro Manila, a total of 39 sites across the capital...

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...