Boracay closure seen to ‘double’ tourist arrivals in Puerto Princesa

TOURIST INFLUX READY: The Puerto Princesa Underground River (PPUR) is ready to welcome visitors that will fail to spend their summer vacation in Boracay due to its impending six months closure. (Photo by Celeste Anna R. Formoso)

PUERTO PRINCESA CITY, Palawan — Puerto Princesa’s 85,000 monthly average visitors is expected to double due to Boracay’s impending closure, an official of the City Tourism Office (CTO) said Wednesday.

CTO promotions and marketing division chief Michie Meneses said that starting next week, 10 redirected flights from Kalibo, Aklan, will be bringing guests to Puerto Princesa.

They are those whose bookings in Boracay had been cancelled due to its April 26 scheduled six-month closure by the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR).

“This is a good opportunity for us to have these tourists see the beauty of Puerto Princesa,” Meneses said, adding the arrivals of redirected flights were confirmed to them by the Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines (CAAP).

She said among those they will showcase are the community-based sustainable tourism sites (CBSTs) in various barangays in the city, and the banner destinations: Puerto Princesa Underground River (PPUR) in Sitio Sabang in Barangay Cabayugan; and Honda Bay Islands in Barangay Sta. Lourdes.

She added that a group of tour operators in Boracay had paid them a visit almost two weeks ago to ensure the smooth travel of the tourists, and that they will be taken care of.

Meneses said the increase in tourist arrivals will not be a problem since the city has 270 establishments that offer an estimated total of 4,000 rooms.

On tour packages, she said tour operators and CBST managers are almost ready with the tour bundles they have repackaged to be presented in new ways.

“There’s nothing new except that tourists can avail tour bundles. For example, the existing underground river tour package will be bundled with CBST sites at a minimal additional cost. That way they could say there are more to Puerto Princesa than its famed underground river,” she added.

However, before these could be offered, the Sangguniang Panlungsod will have to deliberate on tour bundles and pass a city ordinance, she said. (PNA)

Popular

NMC backs DND over infra works, dev’t in West PH Sea features

By Brian Campued The National Maritime Council (NMC) on Saturday expressed support for the Department of National Defense (DND) for its rejection of recent statements...

Filipino astrophysics students’ ‘Double Gyroscope’ experiment performed by NASA astronaut in space

By Brian Campued An experiment designed by Filipino students was recently carried out by a National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) astronaut aboard the International...

Can an arrest warrant be served to a suspect’s lawyer? NBI says no

By Brian Campued A warrant of arrest cannot be served to a suspect’s legal counsel, according to the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI). In a press...

Palace declares May 27 regular holiday for Eid al-Adha

By Brian Campued Malacañang has declared May 27, 2026 a regular holiday in observance of Eid al-Adha or the “Feast of Sacrifice” in Islam. The announcement...