Over 18K Boracay workers get DOLE assistance

HELP FOR DISPLACED WORKERS. The Department of Labor and Employment releases some PHP5.66 million fund for the salary of 1,420 workers under the ‘Tulong Panghanapbuhay sa Ating Disadvantaged/Displaced Workers (TUPAD)’ program intended for those displaced by the closure of Boracay island. (Photo courtesy of DOLE 6)

ILOILO CITY — Some 18,000 workers in the formal sector affected by the closure of Boracay island will receive financial support under the Boracay Emergency Employment Program-Adjustment Measures Program (BEEP-AMP) of the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE).

Labor information officer Niezel Anen T. Sabrido in an interview on Thursday said that BEEP-AMP as a new program has three components to include training, job facilitation and financial support.

For those whose employment is suspended, they will receive 50 percent of the PHP323.50 minimum wage for six months reckoning 30 days prior the implementation of the closure. They will receive the support monthly.

Meantime, those whose employers or companies are still operating and they have been retained will receive in lump sum 25 percent of the minimum wage covering three months.

As recipients, they have reportorial obligation. They should submit a report during the first and fourth month that they undergo training from any government provided trainings and they are on active job search twice.

“They should give us proof,” she said.

DOLE will release the first tranche of their financial support in June.

Sabrido said that around 5,000 workers were briefed about the program last week. At present, she said that more than 18,000 workers have been profiled in Boracay.

Meantime, she added that DOLE continues to accept applicants for the emergency employment program of the Tulong Panghanapbuhay sa Ating Disadvantaged/Displaced Workers (TUPAD).

Last week, some 1,420 of the 1,744 employed under TUPAD already received their salary with Secretary Silvestre Bello leading the distribution. More or less PHP5.66 million was released in May 18.

DOLE has committed to provide employment to 5,000 displaced informal sector workers and indigenous people affected by the closure. (PNA)

Popular

Can an arrest warrant be served to a suspect’s lawyer? NBI says no

By Brian Campued A warrant of arrest cannot be served to a suspect’s legal counsel, according to the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI). In a press...

Palace declares May 27 regular holiday for Eid al-Adha

By Brian Campued Malacañang has declared May 27, 2026 a regular holiday in observance of Eid al-Adha or the “Feast of Sacrifice” in Islam. The announcement...

DOJ tasks PNP, NBI to ‘effect the arrest’ of Bato

By Brian Campued “We’re pursuing this so that the ends of justice may be achieved.” The Department of Justice (DOJ) has given the greenlight for law...

PH earns 76/100 transparency score in int’l survey

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “These achievements are encouraging. For us in government, these however, are not the destination.” In his keynote speech on Wednesday, Department of...