French firms keen on PH despite Marawi situation: envoy

MANILA, July 18 — More French companies are keen on making their foray into the Philippines or expand their existing operations, as the two countries enhance their bilateral trade and economic relations, an envoy has said.

Ambassador of France to the Philippines Thierry Mathou said they look forward to developing cooperations with the Philippines in the infrastructure, transportation and energy sectors.

“So obviously, so far, I don’t see any impact of the situation in Marawi (City) on the way our companies want to develop their activities in the Philippines,” he told reporters. “Obviously, this country is booming. It’s a large market.”

As the two countries celebrate the 70th anniversary of the establishment of their diplomatic relations this year, the ambassador said their trade and economic ties have been “developing rapidly”.

“French companies, which are already here in the Philippines, where they provide thousands of jobs to Filipino workers, are eager to be more active and more present in the Philippines,” he said.

Mathou pointed out that small and medium enterprises (SMEs) have also been very active in the market, as indicated by the success of the French Tech network.

Apart from enhancing cultural and economic links, he said the two countries also signed a defense cooperation agreement.

“We have all the elements on the table to really implement very ambitious relation. So I’m very confident, very confident,” he added.

Meanwhile, the ambassador reiterated his country’s readiness to intensify intelligence sharing with the Philippine government to fight terrorism and extremism.

“It’s a concern for all of us so I think we have to discuss, we have to exchange intelligence… This (terrorism) issue is a global issue we all have to face,” added Mathou. (Leslie D. Venzon/PNA)

Popular

DBM releases P27.4B for continued medical aid to indigent Filipinos

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency The Department of Budget and Management (DBM) announced Friday the release of around P27.4 billion to continue...

PBBM admin addressing long-standing gaps in flood control system

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is addressing long-standing gaps in the country’s flood control system through new...

Malacañang bares 39 Metro Manila sites eyed for floodwater storage, retention projects

By Brian Campued As part of the government’s various initiatives to address perennial flooding in Metro Manila, a total of 39 sites across the capital...

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...