Over 300 accosted in GenSan for violation of nat’l, local laws

GENERAL SANTOS CITY–Police have apprehended more than 300 violators of traffic laws and various city ordinances during the past several days as part of a new campaign spearheaded by the Police Regional Office (PRO)-12.

Supt. Aldrin Gonzales, PRO-12 public information officer, said Monday the apprehensions were in line with the pilot implementation in the city of joint operation plan, or Oplan Mapayapa.

Gonzales said the campaign is in compliance with President Rodrigo R. Duterte’s directive for the strict enforcement of national and local laws to prevent the occurrence of crimes and other related incidents in local communities.

The operations, which started last week, involve personnel from the PRO-12, General Santos City Police Office, City Mobile Force Company, City Traffic Management Unit, Highway Patrol Group, Land Transportation Office, and the City Social Welfare and Development Office.

PRO-12 assigned 200 police officers under the Regional Mobile Force Battalion (RMFB)-12 to lead the campaign, which is implemented from 10 p.m. to 4 a.m.

Citing a report from implementers, Gonzales said majority of the apprehensions involved traffic-related violations. He said a number of residents were held for violation of the city’s anti-smoking ordinance and drinking of alcohol in unauthorized places.

The operating units also rescued minors, who were caught violating the designated curfew hours, he said, adding that the underage teens, some of whom came from neighboring areas, were taken into custody by the CSWDO.

Supt. Maximo Sebastian Jr., RMFB-12 chief, said the intensified operations will continue until the city’s streets are totally cleansed of violators and criminals.

Based on the directive from Chief Supt, Marcelo Morales, Region 12 police director, Sebastian said the campaign will be replicated later in other key areas in Region 12 or Soccsksargen.

He assured that they will be “strict and fair”, and will not just apprehend any idle individual or “tambay” who are out in the streets.

“We will apprehend even men in uniform if they will be caught violating laws and ordinances,” he said. (PNA)

Popular

PBBM admin addressing long-standing gaps in flood control system

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is addressing long-standing gaps in the country’s flood control system through new...

Malacañang bares 39 Metro Manila sites eyed for floodwater storage, retention projects

By Brian Campued As part of the government’s various initiatives to address perennial flooding in Metro Manila, a total of 39 sites across the capital...

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...