Palawan steps up anti-illegal drugs campaign in schools

PUERTO PRINCESA CITY, Palawan — The provincial government of Palawan has stepped up its anti-illegal drugs information and education campaign in three schools in the northern town of Roxas.

Provincial Information Officer Gil Acosta Jr., also the officer-in-charge of the campaign, said Friday it is an initiative under the office of Governor Jose Alvarez and the Provincial Anti-Drug Abuse Program (PADAP), in close cooperation with the Department of Education.

He said it is the Palawan government’s response to the nationwide anti-illegal drugs campaign of President Rodrigo Duterte, particularly focusing on preventing students to be involved in drug use and abuse.

“Ito ay may layunin na makapagbigay ng kaalaman sa mga kabataan kaugnay ng masamang epekto ng paggamit ng bawal na gamot (The aim is to provide information to young people about drugs and its ill effects),” Acosta said.

He added that Governor Alvarez believes that through the provision of information, the youth can learn the bad effects of illegal drugs and later become partners to prevent its spread in the province.

The information drive, which was attended by hundreds of grades 7-12 students, was held on July 9-10 at the Magara School for Philippine Craftsmen, Roxas National Comprehensive High School and Abaroan National High School – all in Roxas.

He said among the topics that were discussed was the classification of illegal drugs and its negative effects.

Acosta added that more information drive in schools in the province will be conducted in the following months to ensure that students stay away from illegal drugs.

According to the 2nd Municipal Anti-Drug Abuse Council (MADAC) Summit held last month, four municipalities in Palawan had been declared drug-cleared so far – Cagayancillo, Dumaran, Araceli, and Magsaysay.

Out of 367 barangays in the province, 79 had also been declared drug-cleared by the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA). ( Celeste Anna Formoso/PNA)

Popular

Palace urges discipline amid crisis on improper waste disposal

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency Metro Manila does not face a garbage crisis but a crisis in improper waste disposal, Executive Secretary...

Logistics pact to boost provision of supplies, services between PH, Japan forces —DND

By Brian Campued The Philippines and Japan’s defense ties continue to deepen as the Acquisition and Cross-Servicing Agreement (ACSA) entered into force Saturday, establishing a...

Drop in poverty incidence affirms effective gov’t programs

By Jose Cielito Reganit | Philippine News Agency The Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) believes the historic drop in poverty incidence to 9.7%...

DBM releases P27.4B for continued medical aid to indigent Filipinos

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency The Department of Budget and Management (DBM) announced Friday the release of around P27.4 billion to continue...