Shift to federalism won’t affect economy, Palace assures

MANILA — Malacañang clarified Friday that the shift to federalism will have no effect on the Philippine economy.

Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque made this remark after Socioeconomic Planning Secretary Ernesto Pernia warned that federalism could drain government finances and disrupt the infrastructure program.

Roque said “we have already discussed and clarified the matter” with Pernia.

“The shift to federalism, we reiterate, would have no adverse effect on the Philippine economy. Our budget would remain the same, as identified national projects would be devolved and transferred to the internal revenue allotment (IRA) of local government units,” Roque said in a statement.

“These projects include maintenance of barangay roads and bridges, water supply services, barangay health centers and daycare centers, solid waste disposal system of municipalities, among others,” he added.

Roque said the national government would still implement the “Build, Build, Build” infrastructure projects under the proposed federal system of government.

“The role of the national government would be to continue to implement ‘Build, Build, Build’ projects and would hence be concentrated on policymaking,” he said.

At least 79 flagship infrastructure projects have been lined up for implementation under the “Build, Build, Build” program from 2017 to 2022.

The “Build, Build, Build” projects have a total budget of PHP8 trillion.

Last week, the Consultative Committee (ConCom) submitted the draft federal constitution to President Rodrigo Duterte.

Duterte has approved the draft federal Constitution in toto except for the transitory provisions.

After the President said he wanted the transitory provisions amended, the ConCom has modified the proposed charter’s transitory provisions to facilitate the election of a transitory president and vice president, who will take over the government right after a new federal constitution is ratified.

Duterte is expected to endorse the draft to Congress on July 23 during his third State of the Nation Address (SONA).

Both the House of Representatives and the Senate have already received the copy of the draft federal charter from the ConCom. (Jelly Musico/PNA)

Popular

Myanmar’s junta chief to head to Bangkok summit as quake toll surpasses 3,000

By Agence France-Presse The head of Myanmar's junta is expected to travel to Bangkok on Thursday for a regional summit, as the death toll from...

PBBM reciprocates VP Sara’s gratitude on helping her mend ties with dad

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency “Glad I could help.” This was the response of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr., according to Palace Press...

Purchase of US fighter jets vital to boost PH defense – ES Bersamin

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin on Thursday, April 3, said the planned procurement of fighter jets from the...

Recto says use of PhilHealth funds to spare PH from new debts

By Benjamin Pulta | Philippine News Agency Finance Secretary Ralph Recto on Wednesday defended the transfer of idle and unused Philippine Health Insurance Corp. (PhilHealth)...