Bello, Dole PH to ink pact on regularizing 9K workers

MANILA — The Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) and Dole Philippines, Inc. in Polomolok, South Cotabato are set to sign a memorandum of agreement (MOA) that will regularize more than 9,000 employees on Friday.

DOLE Undersecretary Joel Maglunsod said Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III, together with officials of the cannery company, will sign the agreement.

“I think the Secretary, the next day (Friday), will go to Dole Philippines for the MOA signing on the regularization of more than 9,000 workers,” Maglunsod said in a press briefing on Wednesday.

However, the regularization is not immediate as they would still create an action plan, he added.

Last May, the labor department released the first batch of companies that were either suspected or found to be engaged in labor-only contracting (LOC), which includes Dole Philippines. The company was found to have 10,521 LOC workers.

LOC is defined as cases wherein the contractor merely recruits, supplies, or places workers to perform a job or work for a principal, but does not have substantial capital, tools, equipment, machinery, supervision, work premises; and that the contracted employees are performing activities that are directly related to the main business operation of the principal.

Maglunsod noted that the campaign against contractualization continues, urging workers to go to the DOLE office in their area if they have questions.

Tuloy ‘yung efforts namin sa campaign versus contractualization at concerns of workers at iba paKung may tanong pa ang manggagawa, please punta kayo sa pinakamalapit na (Our efforts in the campaign versus contractualization and other concerns of workers are ongoing. For workers who still have questions, please proceed to the nearest) DOLE office,” he said. (Ferdinand Patinio/PNA)

Popular

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...

PBBM rallies PMA graduates to remain loyal to the Constitution

By Brian Campued “As you take your oath today, remember that your loyalty is not to any political interest, not to any individual, nor any...