Filipino-Norwegian Tio wins kiteboarding silver in Youth Olympics

BUENOS AIRES – Filipino-Norwegian Christian Tio saved the Philippine campaign with a kiteboarding silver medal in the 2018 Youth Olympic Games here.

Tio, 17, finished second in the final race of men’s kiteboarding on Sunday to move up from fourth the day before for the silver performance after almost a week of racing at the Club Nautico San Isidro here.

Tio actually shared second-place honors with Toni Vodisek of Slovenia while Deury Corniel of Dominican Republic sealed the gold medal after winning three of the six races prior to Sunday’s final race.

The competition was supposed to have ended on Friday but the lack of strong winds forced the organizers to cancel several races.

“My mindset was just to go for it and enjoy,’’ said Tio. “Thank you for everyone who supported me, giving all the love.’’

Tio prepared for over two months—four weeks in Dominican Republic and four weeks in Buenos Aires—to get his body and mind in great condition.

“I didn’t suffer from jetlag. I was fully rested after arriving here early,’’ said Tio, whose next objective is to go home to the Philippines.

Archer Nicole Marie Tagle’s partnership with Hendrik Oun of Estonia has allowed them to advance to the quarterfinals of the mixed international event where they got beaten by New Zealand’s Rebecca Jones and Chihchun Tang of Chinese Taipei, 5-1, at the Parque Sarmiento archery range.

“Medyo mahangin po kanina at naapektuhan nito ang performance ko (It was windy earlier and it affected my performance),’’ said Tagle, a Southeast Asian Games silver medalist last year in Kuala Lumpur.

The 17-year-old from Dumaguete City has another chance to medal when Tagle meets Great Brittain’s Alyssia Tromans-Ansell in the round of 16 women’s individual recurve come Tuesday.

Yuka Saso and Carl Janno Corpus scored a five-over 75 for 18th place in the mixed team event as the tandem try to chase leaders Atthaya Thitikul and Vanchai Luangnitikul of Thailand on Monday’s final round. (POC-PSC Media Group)

Popular

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...

PBBM: Pax Silica a ‘good deal’ to attract more investments

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday described the Pax Silica initiative as a “good deal,” saying...

Palace defends P7.2T budget, urges critics to study spending plan

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency Malacañang on Thursday hit back at critics of the proposed P7.2-trillion 2027 national budget, telling lawmakers to...