Review of martial law extension in Mindanao still on: AFP

MANILA — Troops in the field are still gathering data to determine whether martial law in Mindanao would again be extended, Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) public affairs office chief, Col. Noel Detoyato, said Thursday.
Detoyato said the review on the possible extension of martial law in the region had been ongoing since it was first implemented.

“Since Day One, kasi (because) we always assess the security on a daily basis,” he said in a message to reporters.
Detoyato added that they have yet to give President Rodrigo Duterte a recommendation on the matter as there is no timeline.

“We cannot give a categorical statement because there is no need for it (statement) right now,” he said.
Earlier, Malacañang said it would depend on the recommendation of the AFP on whether martial law would be re-extended after the end of the year.

Martial law in Mindanao was declared on May 23, 2017 following attacks launched by the Maute Group in Marawi City.
The House of Representatives, in a special joint session in July last year, granted the extension of martial law until Dec. 31, 2017 at the President’s request.

The Senate and House of Representatives, convening in a joint session early December, granted the Chief Executive’s request for the extension of martial law and the suspension of the privilege of the writ of habeas corpus for a period of one year from Jan. 1 to Dec. 31, 2018. ( Priam Nepomuceno/PNA)

Popular

Myanmar quake victim rescued after 5 days as aid calls grow

By Agence France-Presse Rescuers on Wednesday, April 2, pulled a man alive from the rubble five days after Myanmar's devastating earthquake, as calls grew for...

Palace allays fears on ‘Taiwan invasion,’ but says contingencies ready

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency Malacañang on Wednesday sought to allay public concerns over a potential invasion of Taiwan by China, but...

2nd batch of PH rescuers on its way to Myanmar

By Priam Nepomuceno | Philippine News Agency The Philippine Air Force (PAF) announced that the second batch of rescuers under the Philippine Inter-Agency Humanitarian Contingent...

Filipinos feared trapped in Myanmar condo still unaccounted for

By Joyce Anne Rocamora | Philippine News Agency The four Filipinos feared to be among those trapped in a collapsed condominium in quake-hit Myanmar remain...