House panel to reopen Dengvaxia probe on Nov. 20, 21

By Filane Mikee Cervantes – PNA News 

MANILA — The chairman of the House committee on good government and public accountability on Sunday said the joint inquiry into the controversy surrounding the previous administration’s purchase of PHP3.5-billion worth of dengue vaccine, Dengvaxia, is set for November 20 and 21.

In an interview, Camiguin Rep. Xavier Romualdo said the committee will still thresh out other concerns and issues regarding the Dengvaxia mess.

“Hopefully we’ll be able to tie up loose ends and get a more complete picture of why and how the government procured the vaccines and rolled out the vaccination program and if offenses were committed by the officials involved in the process,” Romualdo said.

He noted that the panel will finalize the committee report that has not yet been approved when it was formerly headed by Surigao del Sur Johnny Pimentel.

The House committee on good government and public accountability held several joint hearings on the controversial anti-dengue vaccine with the House committee on health, chaired by Quezon Rep. Angelina Tan.

Under the term of President Benigno Aquino III, the Philippines became the first country in the world to launch a public inoculation plan against dengue in April 2016.

The Department of Health (DOH) has since suspended the anti-dengue immunization drive, after pharmaceutical firm Sanofi Pasteur said Dengvaxia could worsen symptoms in vaccinated children who contracted the disease for the first time.

More than 700,000 Filipino school children had already received their Dengvaxia shots by the time the DOH suspended the immunization drive.

Popular

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...

PBBM rallies PMA graduates to remain loyal to the Constitution

By Brian Campued “As you take your oath today, remember that your loyalty is not to any political interest, not to any individual, nor any...