No need for EO to rehabilitate Panglao, El Nido: Palace

By Azer Parrocha – PNA

MANILA — President Rodrigo Duterte and his Cabinet have decided not to issue an executive order (EO) to rehabilitate beaches in Panglao Island, Bohol and El Nido, Palawan, Malacañang said Wednesday.

Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said this was decided during Tuesday night’s Cabinet meeting at the Aguinaldo State Dining Room in Malacañang.

“On the rehabilitation of Panglao Island in Bohol and El Nido in Palawan, the Cabinet agreed that there is no need to issue an Executive Order,” Panelo said in a press statement.

Despite Panglao and El Nido having similar environmental problems as the newly-rehabilitated Boracay Island, the inter-agency task force earlier said there is no need for a total closure to proceed with its rehabilitation.

Members of the task force, including Environment Secretary Roy Cimatu, Interior Secretary Eduardo Año, and Tourism Secretary Bernadette Puyat, inspected El Nido last month and discussed plans to rehabilitate the tourist destination.

Puyat has already raised the idea of replicating the government’s effort to rehabilitate Boracay Island in other tourist destinations in Bohol and Palawan.

This, after President Duterte, in an event in Palawan, reminded the local government and residents there to “protect” the environment by preventing overcrowding in the island.

On Oct. 26, Boracay Island reopened after six months of intensive rehabilitation to fix its environmental problems, particularly the sewerage system.

The allowed tourist population on Boracay Island is only 19,215 per day.

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...