DPWH-7 turns over evacuation center to Tagbilaran City

By John Rey Saavedra/PNA

EVACUATION CENTER. Bohol Governor Edgar Chatto (fourth from left) accompanies Deprtment of Public Works and Highways (DPWH-7) Assistant Regional Director Mario Montejo (third from left) in handing over a symbolic key to Tagbilaran City Mayor John Geesnell Yap (fifth from left) during the turnover ceremony in Barangay Dao, Tagbilaran City. The PHP36-million evacuation center is specifically designed for the emergency needs of the city. (Photo courtesy of DPWH-7 Assistant Regional Director Mario Montejo)

CEBU CITY – The Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH-7) in Central Visayas on Tuesday turned over its first evacuation center project to the local government of Tagbilaran City.

DPWH-7 Assistant Regional Director Mario Montejo told the Philippine News Agency that Tagbilaran city is one of the first recipients of the evacuation center project typically designed for the area.

Montejo said the evacuation center project is located in Barangay Dao, Tagbilaran City and was constructed at a total cost of PHP36 million.

The project was undertaken by the DPWH regional office in Central Visayas but funded by the national government, through the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC), Montejo said.

Construction of evacuation centers are done nationwide, he noted.

“The LGU of Tagbilaran City provided the land area of 3,000 square meters as part of requirement in availing the project,” Montejo said. “Technically, this area was able to pass the criteria and specification set forth by the Mines and Geosciences Bureau.”

“The department appreciates the effort of the LGU of Tagbilaran City in making this project possible since some interested LGUs all over the country wasn’t able to provide the needed lot,” he said.

The evacuation is specifically designed and built to answer for the evacuation needs of Tagbilaran City should any calamity occur, the assistant regional director told the PNA.

The center has eight buildings consisting of an infirmary office, accommodation building, generator room, water tank, laundry and drying area, female and male bathroom, garbage disposal area, and pump room.

“All the said facilities were designed to address the needed convenient environment of the evacuees considering the fact that they are the directly affected individuals and victims in the event of calamities,” he said.

DPWH-7 started constructing the project in August last year and completed it September this year.

Popular

NMC backs DND over infra works, dev’t in West PH Sea features

By Brian Campued The National Maritime Council (NMC) on Saturday expressed support for the Department of National Defense (DND) for its rejection of recent statements...

Filipino astrophysics students’ ‘Double Gyroscope’ experiment performed by NASA astronaut in space

By Brian Campued An experiment designed by Filipino students was recently carried out by a National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) astronaut aboard the International...

Can an arrest warrant be served to a suspect’s lawyer? NBI says no

By Brian Campued A warrant of arrest cannot be served to a suspect’s legal counsel, according to the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI). In a press...

Palace declares May 27 regular holiday for Eid al-Adha

By Brian Campued Malacañang has declared May 27, 2026 a regular holiday in observance of Eid al-Adha or the “Feast of Sacrifice” in Islam. The announcement...