Murder raps won’t affect Daraga mayor’s re-election bid: Comelec

By Ferdinand Patinio/PNA

MANILA — Daraga, Albay Mayor Carlwyn Baldo can still run in the forthcoming May polls despite murder raps filed against him, a Commission on Elections (Comelec) official said Friday.

“A candidate cannot be disqualified on the basis of a criminal complaint alone. (It has) No significant effect on the official status of his candidacy,” Comelec spokesperson James Jimenez said in an interview.

Jimenez noted that a candidate facing raps can only be disqualified once convicted with finality by the court.

The Philippine National Police (PNP) has earlier tagged Baldo as the mastermind behind the killing of Ako Bicol Partylist Rep. Rodel Batocabe and his security escort, SPO2 Orlando Diaz last December 22.

On Thursday, the PNP filed charges of murder and frustrated murder against Baldo and six others before the Provincial Prosecutor of Albay. 

Popular

Reg’l security, ‘coercive acts’ top PBBM’s Japan visit agenda

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is expecting regional security, coercive activities and growing Indo-Pacific tensions to dominate...

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...