Abalos orders probe on deadly Manila tree collapse

The City of Manila inspected the area of accident at Estero de Magdalena in Binondo, where a large tree fell over the houses around 3:00 a.m. on Thursday, May 18 (Photo courtesy of Manila PIO)

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan

The Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP) has been ordered to investigate the collapse of houses along the Estero de Magdalena creek in Binondo, Manila before dawn Thursday, May 18, killing three.

A tree fell on the illegal structures, causing the collapse and the death of three, including a two-year-old.

In a statement on Friday, Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) Secretary Benjamin Abalos Jr. said he directed the BFP to submit its report and recommendations as soon as possible to his office to prevent similar incidents.

Latest reports from the Manila Disaster Risk Reduction Management Office (MDRRMO) stated nine others were injured in the collapse in Barangay 294.

Aside from the BFP and the MDRRMO, other fire volunteer groups responded and assisted in bringing the affected residents to safer grounds.

“Nakikiramay tayo sa mga kaanak ng mga biktima ng trahedyang ito. Gayundin, nananawagan tayo sa mga lokal na opisyal na siguruhin ang pagpapaabot ng tulong sa mga naapektuhan at gawin ang lahat upang hindi na masundan o maulit ang trahedyang ito,’’ Abalos said.

Eight families were directly affected while about 40 reside in the danger zone.

They will be provided temporary shelters, food and financial assistance until they are permanently relocated to a target site in Cavite province.

Manila Mayor Honey Lacuna-Pangan said the relocation, previously under the Pasig River Rehab Commission and then transferred to the Department of Environment and Natural Resources, was delayed due to the pandemic.

The DILG commended the BFP and the MRRDMO for their immediate response to the incident.

“Dahil sa inyong mabilis na aksyon, agad nabigyan ng karampatang lunas ang mga biktima at naisalba ang mga na-trap na residente ,” said Abalos. – gb

Popular

Student Beep card with 50% discount available starting Sept. 1 —DOTr

By Brian Campued The Department of Transportation (DOTr) is set to roll out white and personalized Beep cards to make commuting more convenient and more...

Palace: China cannot stop PH from asserting its territorial rights

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Friday reiterated that the Philippines will not be deterred in its efforts to defend its territorial and maritime interests in...

D.A. brings P20 rice to fisherfolk; affordable rice for jeepney, tricycle drivers soon

By Brian Campued As part of the continuous expansion of the “Benteng Bigas Meron (BBM) Na” Program of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. to various...

DepEd launches ‘EduKahon’ kits to ensure learning continuity in calamity-hit schools

By Brian Campued In line with President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr.’s directive to strengthen the education sector’s preparedness during disasters, the Department of Education (DepEd)...