Abu Sayyaf sub-leader, 5 followers surrender in Basilan

ZAMBOANGA CITY — An Abu Sayyaf Group (ASG) sub-leader along with his five followers surrendered to government authorities in the province of Basilan, an official said Thursday.

The group surrendered through the concerted efforts initiated by the Joint Task Force Basilan (JTFB) in coordination and with the support of Basilan Gov. Hadjiman Hataman-Saliman and Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (ARMM) Gov. Mujiv Hataman, said Brig. Gen. Juvymax Uy.

Uy, who heads JTFB, identified the ASG sub-leader as Apan Apino alias Abu Mudzrin, whose group is based in the hinterlands of Basilan.

He said the group surrendered on Wednesday in Barangay Sinulatan, Tuburan town. They turned over six high-powered firearms consisting of three M-16 rifles, two .30 caliber M1 Garand rifles and one M-79 grenade launcher and ammunition.

Apino told authorities they decided to surrender as they had already grown tired of running from the advancing government troops.

“We have won several communities that use to support the Abu Sayyaf bandits. The Abus are now confined in the hinterlands where they intimidate communities for support,” Uy said.

“The Abu Sayyafs are not safe in Basilan. We are giving the option for them reconsider peace through surrender while the door is still open,” the military official added.

Saliman and Hataman reiterated their earlier call for the remaining Abu Sayyaf Group members to surrender and return to the fold of the law. (Teofilo Garcia, Jr/PNA)

Popular

Logistics pact to boost provision of supplies, services between PH, Japan forces —DND

By Brian Campued The Philippines and Japan’s defense ties continue to deepen as the Acquisition and Cross-Servicing Agreement (ACSA) entered into force Saturday, establishing a...

Drop in poverty incidence affirms effective gov’t programs

By Jose Cielito Reganit | Philippine News Agency The Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) believes the historic drop in poverty incidence to 9.7%...

DBM releases P27.4B for continued medical aid to indigent Filipinos

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency The Department of Budget and Management (DBM) announced Friday the release of around P27.4 billion to continue...

PBBM admin addressing long-standing gaps in flood control system

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is addressing long-standing gaps in the country’s flood control system through new...