Afghan officials: Pakistani cross-border fire kills civilian

ISLAMABAD — Officials in Afghanistan say cross-border shelling by Pakistan has killed at least one civilian in the eastern province of Kunar.

A provincial government spokesman told VOA Pakistani forces in the past 24 hours have fired hundreds of artillery shells on two Afghan border districts of Sarkano and Dangam.

Ghani Mosmim said the firing has also caused damage to civilian property.

“Routine fire on terrorists’ hideouts right on [the Afghan] border ,” a Pakistan military spokesman told VOA when asked for his reaction to Afghan allegations. He gave no further details.

The Afghan Foreign Ministry last week accused the neighboring country of launching airstrikes on parts of Dangam and causing “huge financial damages.”

Pakistan rejected the allegation as baseless, saying its security forces were conducting counterterrorism operations inside their own territory to deter Afghanistan-based militant groups from staging attacks across the border.

Islamabad maintains that anti-state militants sheltering in Afghan border areas are behind recent attacks on Pakistani security forces and civilians.

Kabul has long accused Pakistan of harboring Afghan Taliban insurgents, charges Islamabad denies.

Tuesday’s incident comes just days after Pakistani Prime Minister Shahid Khaqan Abbasi visited Afghanistan and met with Afghan leaders.

Pakistani Prime Minister Shahid Khaqan Abbasi is received by Afghan President Ashraf Ghani at the presidential place in Kabul, April 6, 2018.

In a post-visit statement, Islamabad said both sides have agreed to commit to avoid territorial and aerial violations of each other’s territory.

The two countries also decided to avoid “public blame game” and use mutually agreed “cooperation mechanisms” to respond to bilateral issues of contention and concerns. | via Voice of America

 

Popular

PBBM admin addressing long-standing gaps in flood control system

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is addressing long-standing gaps in the country’s flood control system through new...

Malacañang bares 39 Metro Manila sites eyed for floodwater storage, retention projects

By Brian Campued As part of the government’s various initiatives to address perennial flooding in Metro Manila, a total of 39 sites across the capital...

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...