AFP: 10 rebels, 3 terrorists killed in various military ops

The combined forces of the 47th Infantry Battalion, 302nd Brigade of the 3rd Infantry Division, and the Bohol Police Provincial Office seized some firearms and ammunition following an encounter with the remnants of the CPP-NPA Bohol Party Committee in Bilar, Bohol on Friday (Feb. 23, 2024) which resulted in the death of its leader and four members. (Photo by 3rd Infantry Division/AFP)

By Brian Jules Campued

The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) on Sunday announced that its soldiers have neutralized a total of 13 insurgents and terrorists in several operations in Visayas and Mindanao from Feb. 18 to 24.

According to a statement from the AFP, government troops have “successfully targeted and eliminated” 10 New People’s Army (NPA) rebels and three members of Dawlah Islamiyah-Maute Group (DI-MG).

“On Feb. 24, troops from the 49th Infantry Battalion clashed with NPAs in Brgy. Salvacion, Pio Duran, Albay, seizing various weapons and personal belongings,” AFP said.

Combined forces of the 49th Infantry Battalion, 302nd Brigade of the 3rd Infantry Division, and police forces fought against remnants of the Communist Party of the Philippines-NPA Bohol Party Committee in Bilar, Bohol which resulted in the death of its leader, Domingo Compoc alias “Silong” and four other rebels on Feb. 23.

On the same day, the 29th and 30th Infantry Battalions neutralized another NPA rebel and recovered firearms and ammunition in a separate encounter in Cabadbaran City, Agusan del Norte.

“Likewise, the 502nd Infantry Brigade encountered remaining members of the Cagayan Valley Regional Committee in Gonzaga, Cagayan, resulting in the death of one NPA member,” the AFP added.

On Feb. 21, operatives of the 79th Infantry Battalion managed to kill three rebels and seize various weapons following a skirmish with members of the defunct Northern Negros Front in Escalante City, Negros Occidental.

Meanwhile, on Feb. 18, DI-MG members led by one alias “Mas’Od” were defeated by the 44th Infantry Battalion during an operation to track down perpetrators of the Mindanao State University (MSU) bombing last year.

However, six soldiers were also killed in the firefight.

“So far, the military were able to neutralize at least 18 DI-MG members, including [a]lias ‘Engineer’ who masterminded the attack in MSU-Marawi last December,” the AFP also revealed.

AFP chief of staff Gen. Romeo Brawner Jr. lauded the soldiers for their efforts in defending peace in the country and likewise reminded other terrorists and rebels to go back to the folds of the law.

“With their leaders and networks dismantled, our enemies stand weakened and exposed. To the remaining terrorists, the only options left for you now are to surrender or perish,” Brawner added.

Defense Secretary Gilberto Teodoro Jr. also commended the troops who “successfully pursued” the suspects in the MSU bombing incident and reiterate the government’s commitment in “ridding the nation of these lawless elements”.

“We mourn and honor our brave soldiers who paid the ultimate price to protect the nation, and we extend our deepest sympathies and assurances of support to the bereaved families of our valiant troops,” Teodoro said in a statement.

President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. also honored the fallen soldiers in a vlog posted on YouTube, vowing to step up efforts in fighting insurgency and terrorism in the country.

“Tayo po ay sumasaludo sa sakripisyo ng ating anim na sundalo na nagbuwis ng buhay sa isang engkwentro, upang tayo ay protektahan laban sa mga terorista,” the President said.

“Ang kalungkutan na ating nadarama sa sakripisyo ng ating anim na magigiting na sundalo ay gagamitin nating lakas upang ibayong pagsikapan natin na sugpuin ang mga teroristang naghahasik ng panganib sa ating mamamayan,” Marcos added. – avds

Popular

Palace slams attempt against NegOr contractor, vows to dismantle espionage networks

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Amid consecutive developments arising from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr.’s revelation of ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood control projects in his 4th...

Student Beep card with 50% discount available starting Sept. 1 —DOTr

By Brian Campued The Department of Transportation (DOTr) is set to roll out white and personalized Beep cards to make commuting more convenient and more...

Palace: China cannot stop PH from asserting its territorial rights

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Friday reiterated that the Philippines will not be deterred in its efforts to defend its territorial and maritime interests in...

D.A. brings P20 rice to fisherfolk; affordable rice for jeepney, tricycle drivers soon

By Brian Campued As part of the continuous expansion of the “Benteng Bigas Meron (BBM) Na” Program of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. to various...