AFP: Bukidnon encounter highlights weakness of remaining Reds

Armed Forces of the Philippines logo. (Photo background courtesy of the Philippine News Agency)/PTV

Priam Nepomuceno | Philippine News Agency

The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) said the Christmas day encounter in Malaybalay, Bukidnon that resulted in the death of nine New People’s Army (NPA) insurgents highlights the communist movement’s general weakness and lack of capability.

“It also signals an urgent need for the remaining NPAs to surrender and abandon their futile armed struggle,” AFP public affairs office chief Col. Xerxes Trinidad said in a statement late Monday.

“It is time for them to take advantage of the government’s peace programs and spend time with their families during this holiday season, rather than facing the same fate as their fallen comrades.”

He added that these losses further eroded the capability of the NPAs to carry out atrocities in Bukidnon and nearby provinces.

“We are thankful for the trust of every Filipino in the AFP for maintaining a peaceful environment. The AFP assures every Filipino that we will remain vigilant during this holiday season as we collectively work towards keeping our communities peaceful and secure,” he added.

Nine NPA members were killed during the encounter with the 403rd Infantry Brigade, a field unit of the 4th Infantry Division.

The AFP said government troops initiated a “sustained military offensive against the NPAs” after receiving reports of their presence in the hinterlands of Barangays Can-ayan, Kibalabag, Kulaman, and Mapulo.

“During the initial scouring, the operating troops captured eight firearms from the encounter site, with expectations of more to follow as the operation continues. Troops are coordinating with local communities for the identification of the nine deceased NPAs,” Trinidad said.

AFP chief Gen. Romeo Brawner Jr. earlier said the military is nearing total victory against all lawless groups in the country.

This came as some 2,658 NPA members and their supporters were neutralized from Jan. 1 to Aug. 17 this year.

Of this number, 124 were killed during encounters with military forces, 87 were arrested, and 2,447 surrendered to the government.

Popular

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...

PBBM rallies PMA graduates to remain loyal to the Constitution

By Brian Campued “As you take your oath today, remember that your loyalty is not to any political interest, not to any individual, nor any...