AFP receives P1-M aid for kin of slain troops in Marawi siege

MANILA — A local charity institution and a beverage company donated PHP1 million for the families of troops who were killed-in-action during the five-month Marawi siege, the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) said Sunday.

AFP Vice Chief of Staff, Lt. Gen. Melchor Mison Jr., received the PHP1-million cheque in a simple ceremony in Camp Aguinaldo, Quezon City last week.

“The foundation and beverage company, who requested to remain anonymous despite the large amount of donation, also pledged to support the AFP’s educational program that will benefit dependents of soldiers, especially those of combat casualties,” AFP public affairs office chief Col. Edgard Arevalo said in a statement.

This was the third time that they donated for the beneficiaries of soldiers who were killed-in-action in Marawi, Arevalo said.

The donation has been deposited in the AFP’s Marawi Casualty Landbank account which was opened in June in order to extend assistance to the families of troops who died in the line of duty.

“The Vice Chief of Staff AFP expressed gratitude on behalf of the soldiers and their families who will benefit from the donation,” Arevalo said.

“The AFP is immensely grateful for the gestures of generosity and kindness of these donors and many others who selflessly and silently give their material and monetary support to our soldiers,” he added. (PNA)

Popular

Torre says he has no ill feelings towards PBBM, DILG chief following relief 

By Brian Campued “Look at me straight in the eye, do I look like somebody who is bitter?” This was the response of former Philippine National...

PBBM to visit Cambodia, attend UN General Assembly

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. will embark on a state visit to Cambodia and later attend the...

PBBM eyes different gov’t post for Torre, Palace confirms

By Brian Campued President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is offering former Philippine National Police (PNP) chief PGen. Nicolas Torre III a different position in the...

‘Organic, real people’: Gomez belies claims that PCO pays for reactors, vloggers

By Brian Campued Presidential Communications Office (PCO) acting Secretary Dave Gomez on Tuesday stressed that the PCO does not pay reactors and vloggers to support...