AFP reiterates stance vs. hazing, all forms of physical abuse

Armed Forces of the Philippines logo. (Photo background courtesy of the Philippine News Agency)/PTV

By Priam Nepomuceno | Philippine News Agency

The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) on Tuesday reiterated its stance against hazing, physical abuse, and all forms of degrading treatment.

“The AFP is a professional institution built on discipline, integrity, and respect for human dignity. We do not and will never tolerate hazing, physical abuse, maltreatment or any form of degrading treatment,” the AFP said in a statement.

The military issued the statement following the death of 22-year-old rookie soldier Pvt. Charlie Patigayon in Maguindanao del Norte last week.

Patigayon was reportedly undergoing reception rites with other soldiers at the 6th Infantry Battalion headquarters in Barangay Capiton, Datu Odin Sinsuat when he collapsed on July 30 and died the following day.

Reception rites are a series of exercises new soldiers are instructed to do when reporting to their units.

Two officers and 19 enlisted personnel have already been relieved from their posts following Patigayon’s death, which is already under investigation.

The AFP said Gen. Romeo Brawner Jr., its chief of staff, has already issued a “clear and uncompromising directive” to all units to uphold the highest standards of military conduct and discipline and reject all forms of hazing, physical abuse, maltreatment, and degrading treatment.

“The AFP remains fully committed to cultivating a culture of professionalism, mutual respect, and accountability. All personnel, regardless of rank or tenure, must be treated with dignity in every setting whether in training, duty, ceremonies, or daily interactions,” it said.

Popular

D.A. brings P20 rice to fisherfolk; affordable rice for jeepney, tricycle drivers soon

By Brian Campued As part of the continuous expansion of the “Benteng Bigas Meron (BBM) Na” Program of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. to various...

DepEd launches ‘EduKahon’ kits to ensure learning continuity in calamity-hit schools

By Brian Campued In line with President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr.’s directive to strengthen the education sector’s preparedness during disasters, the Department of Education (DepEd)...

Torre says he has no ill feelings towards PBBM, DILG chief following relief 

By Brian Campued “Look at me straight in the eye, do I look like somebody who is bitter?” This was the response of former Philippine National...

PBBM to visit Cambodia, attend UN General Assembly

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. will embark on a state visit to Cambodia and later attend the...