AFP yet to confirm reports on new Maute-ISIS leader

MANILA — The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) has yet to confirm reports claiming that Owayda Benito Marohomsar alias “Huwam” and “Abu Dar” is the new leader of the Maute-ISIS Group.

Despite the lack of information, AFP spokesperson Col. Edgard Arevalo said that this will not lessen their efforts to totally defeat the terror group.

“I cannot confirm that (Marohomsar took over) dahil wala akong information (because I don’t have information) regarding that but whoever is going take over or attempting to take over, we are set to defeat them, we owe our people na hindi na mauulit ang nangyari sa (that what happened before will not happen again in) Marawi City,” he added.

To ensure this, Arevalo said the military needs the full support and cooperation of the citizenry in locating and tracking down these terrorists.

Marohomsar, who was among the few surviving Maute-ISIS Group leaders, reportedly managed to evade the military dragnet in Marawi City which killed most of his companions last year.

Killed in the campaign to liberate Marawi City were Isnilon Hapilon, top leader of the Islamic-inspired extremist group and Omar Maute, one of the co-founders of the Maute-ISIS Group.

Reportedly, Marohomsar took command of the terrorist band and is now engaged in recruiting new members for his decimated band which suffered heavy losses in the five-month battle in Marawi City. (PNA)

Popular

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...