Alert Level 2 raised over Mayon Volcano anew

Mayon Volcano as seen from University of Santo Tomas-Legazpi (File photo courtesy of Jodel Ret)

By Christine Fabro

The Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) on Monday, June 5, raised the status of Mayon Volcano to Alert Level 2 due to its “increasing unrest”.

“DOST-PHIVOLCS is raising the Alert Level of Mayon Volcano from Alert Level 1 (abnormal) to Alert Level 2 (increasing unrest),” it said in an advisory issued Monday at 10:00 a.m.

“This means that there is current unrest driven by shallow magmatic processes that could eventually lead to phreatic eruptions or even precede hazardous magmatic eruption,” Phivolcs added.

This after the Phivolcs observed an increase in rockfall from the volcano’s summit lava dome since the last week of April, indicating aseismic growth.

Rockfall increased in frequency from an average of five events per day to 49 events per day from June 4 at 5:00 a.m. to June 5 at 5:00 a.m.

“A total of 318 rockfall events have been recorded by the Mayon Volcano Network since 01 April 2023 while 26 volcanic earthquakes have been recorded for the same period,” the advisory read.

Phivolcs advised the public to resist from entering the six kilometer-radius permanent danger zone to minimize risks from sudden explosions, rockfall, and landslides.

It also reminded civil aviation authorities to advise pilots to avoid flying close to the volcano’s summit as ash from any sudden eruption can be hazardous to aircraft. -ag

Popular

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...