Alice Guo already left PH — Hontiveros

Guo vs Hontiveros
Photos courtesy of Senate of the Philippines/Sen. Risa Hontiveros via Facebook

By Brian Jules Campued

Dismissed Bamban, Tarlac Mayor Alice Guo had left the Philippines last month using her Philippine passport, according to Sen. Risa Hontiveros on Monday.

Citing information from the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI), Hontiveros said Guo was already out of the country on July 18 and entered Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

“Siya po ay pumasok ng 12:17:13 military time ng July 18,” she said in a manifestation during a Senate session.

Citing another source, the senator alleged that Guo then went to Singapore to meet her family, who flew in from China.

“Ayon sa aking isa pang source, tumuloy si Alice Guo sa Singapore, kung saan nagtagpo-tagpo sila ng kaniyang magulang na sina Lin Wen Yi at Guo Jian Zhong. The couple flew in from China on July 28, 2024,” Hontiveros continued.

“Mistulang reunion sila kasama sina Wesley Guo at si Cassandra Ong,” she added. Ong was named as the representative of Lucky South 99, the raided Philippine Offshore Gaming Operator (POGO) hub in Porac, Pampanga last June.

“Who allowed this travesty to happen? Sino ang may kagagawan nito? Hindi makakaalis si Alice Guo kung walang tumulong sa kanya na mga opisyales ng pamahalaan,” the lawmaker asked.

Hontiveros also chided law enforcers for allegedly “dropping the ball,” even after President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. ordered the ban on POGOs. She also raised the possibility of investigating law enforcement agencies.

“Nangako ang BI sa akin at sa Senate President Pro Tempore na hindi nila hahayaan si Guo Hua Ping na makaalis sa Pilipinas, eh ‘yun pala ay wala na talaga siya,” she said.

“Kung hindi po natin ito gawan ng paraan, as an institution, as a country, parang nagpasampal tayo sa dayuhang ito na paulit-ulit na sinasaula ang ating mga batas, patakaran, at proseso,” the solon added.

Meanwhile, Sen. Grace Poe underscored the need for aviation authorities to check their records for Guo’s supposed departure. 

“I’m sure we have a list if they went to Malaysia, ilan ‘yung mga flight papuntang Malaysia? Whether it’s private or a passenger plane, we should be able to determine that,” she said.

According to the Department of Justice (DOJ) Spokesperson Asec. Mico Clavano, there has been no report to the DOJ of Guo’s attempted departure from the Bureau of Immigration (BI).

“In fact, she filed a motion for her case in the DOJ last Friday, to which she attached a counter affidavit, which was sworn before a Philippine notary public on Aug. 14, 2024. And there have been reported sightings from LEAs (law enforcement agencies) after July 18, 2024,” he said.

Clavano reiterated that the DOJ will continue to gather information from both the BI and NBI regarding the matter as a “case of national significance.”

“Thus, if it is indeed true that Alice Guo has left the country, a thorough investigation is needed to hold those responsible accountable,” the DOJ official said. (with report from Daniel Manalastas/PTV)

– av

Popular

Filipinos nabbed in China ordinary citizens with no military training

By Joyce Ann L. Rocamora | Philippine News Agency The National Security Council (NSC) has expressed alarm over the arrest of three Filipino nationals for...

PH Contingent lends helping hand on rescue, medical ops in quake-hit Myanmar

By Brian Jules Campued The Philippine Inter-Agency Humanitarian Contingent (PIAHC) on Friday continued to assist in rescue and medical operations in Myanmar as the Southeast...

PBBM cites need to promote Filipino food for ‘experiential tourism’

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday emphasized the importance of promoting Filipino native delicacies and cuisines...

Gov’t measures vs. inflationary pressures effective — NEDA

By Kris Crismundo and Stephanie Sevillano | Philippine News Agency Government efforts to control inflation are showing results as the country’s inflation rate continued to...