All residents eligible for P20/kg rice on May 1 Cebu rollout — Palace

‘PROMISE FULFILLED’. The Department of Agriculture (DA) is set to launch the P20 per kilo rice program in Cebu Province this Thursday (May 1, 2025). (Photo courtesy: Jessee Atienza / PTV Cebu)

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency

Everyone, regardless of income status, will be eligible to purchase rice at P20 per kilo on May 1 in Cebu province as part of the government’s pilot rollout of its rice subsidy program through Kadiwa stores, Malacañang announced Wednesday.

Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro said the initial offering will not be limited to indigent or vulnerable sectors but will be made available to the general public during its launch in Cebu.

“Hindi lamang po vulnerable sectors ang makikinabang. Bukas po, lahat ay puwede pong mag-avail sa Kadiwa stores sa Cebu,” Castro said in a Palace press briefing.

“Hindi po pili, kung hindi lahat po ng maaaring mag-avail po nito ay allowed po; hindi po ito limited lamang sa vulnerable sector,” she added.

The Department of Agriculture announced last week the rollout of the P20/kg rice in Visayas following a closed-door meeting in Cebu between President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. and 12 governors from all four regions in the Visayas.

Under the program, indigent Filipino families are eligible to buy the P20/kg rice up to 10 kg weekly or a total of 40 kg every month. However, the May 1 launch opens the benefit to all residents for that day only.

The P20/kg rice is among the campaign promises of the President.

Popular

D.A. brings P20 rice to fisherfolk; affordable rice for jeepney, tricycle drivers soon

By Brian Campued As part of the continuous expansion of the “Benteng Bigas Meron (BBM) Na” Program of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. to various...

DepEd launches ‘EduKahon’ kits to ensure learning continuity in calamity-hit schools

By Brian Campued In line with President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr.’s directive to strengthen the education sector’s preparedness during disasters, the Department of Education (DepEd)...

Torre says he has no ill feelings towards PBBM, DILG chief following relief 

By Brian Campued “Look at me straight in the eye, do I look like somebody who is bitter?” This was the response of former Philippine National...

PBBM to visit Cambodia, attend UN General Assembly

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. will embark on a state visit to Cambodia and later attend the...