Alleged overpriced food in Panglao, Bohol under probe; Motorbanca trips temporarily halted

By Alec Go

The Department of Tourism (DOT) and authorities in Bohol are looking into the alleged overpricing of seafood in Virgin Island in Panglao after a netizen shared that their group was charged P26,000 for their order.

In a statement on Tuesday night, Aug. 2, DOT Secretary Christina Frasco said it is coordinating with local government units along with Bohol Gov. Aris Aumentado and Panglao Mayor Boy Arcay on the immediate investigation on the incident.

“I believe that due care must always be given to the overall experience of tourists whether it concerns upholding the quality of accommodations, attaining a certain level of service, or ensuring the reasonable pricing of products,” she said, while noting the “current predicament and challenges” faced by establishments due to the pandemic.

“Tourism is a shared responsibility, and it is in helping each other along this period of recovery that we can fully enjoy the benefits that tourism brings,” she added.

The Department of Trade and Industry was also tapped to ensure “reasonable pricing standards” for consumer protection.

“Our Regional Office is also coordinating with the LGUs to provide guidance on standards for the provision of tourist goods and services, and we will extend training to the frontline tourism workers and stakeholders involved to safeguard the overall tourist experience in the Island,” she added.

Meanwhile, Aumentado ordered on Tuesday the temporary suspension of motor banca trips to the island pending the conduct of investigation.

In a Facebook post, the governor expressed alarm over the situation and has called for an emergency meeting.

Popular

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...

PBBM rallies PMA graduates to remain loyal to the Constitution

By Brian Campued “As you take your oath today, remember that your loyalty is not to any political interest, not to any individual, nor any...