Alvarez to Sereno: Face impeachment committee, not media

MANILA — Speaker Pantaleon Alvarez on Friday said the impeachment hearing is the proper forum for Supreme Court (SC) Chief Justice Maria Lourdes Sereno to defend herself against accusations hurled at her.

In a radio interview, Alvarez said Sereno should appear before the House justice committee and face the impeachment proceedings against her instead of using the media to her defense.

“Ang sinasabi ko, dahil nga hindi siya nag-a-appear doon sa hearing, talagang paano niya didepensahan yung sarili niya hindi ba? Tapos maglalabas na lang siya ng mga statement sa media hindi naman valid yun,” said Alvarez.

“Kaya kailangan talaga siyang pumunta doon para i-disprove yung mga allegations at yung mga ebidensya na inilahad laban sa kanya. Alam naman niya yan dahil abugado rin iyan, nagpa-practice,” he added.

Alvarez said if Sereno resigns, the impeachment proceedings against her would be halted.

“Kung magreresign nga siya, so talagang titigil kasi wala na tayong ini-impeach. Ngunit kung hindi siya magre-resign ay patuloy pa rin yung pag-gather natin ng ebidensya ukol doon sa mga alegasyon na nasa complaint ni Atty. Gadon,” Alvarez said.

After attending a Mass at the Parish of Holy Sacrifice in Quezon City on Thursday, Sereno vowed to resist calls for resignation, saying those who stand with the truth should not be oppressed as she expressed confidence that God’s plan would prevail.

“I’m sure, as the sun rises from the east and sets in the west, that God’s plan will prevail. Indeed, I have seen with my own eyes how the Lord superintends everything so that the lies are uncovered, the truth is revealed, people are taking more courage and there is unity among brethren at last,” Sereno said.

Associate Justice Teresita De Castro has testified before the impeachment committee, confirming that Sereno not only altered a temporary restraining order (TRO) on the party list proclamation in 2013, but also created the Judicial Decentralized Office in Region 7 contrary to resolutions the high court had approved.

De Castro also testified on the merits of the decision she penned that declared unconstitutional the clustering of shortlisted nominees made by the Judicial and Bar Council (JBC) last year in connection with the vacancies in the Sandiganbayan.

Impeachment complainant lawyer Larry Gadon said De Castro’s statements backed by documentary proofs were “incontrovertible evidence”.

“The testimony of Justice Teresita de Castro is more than enough and sufficient to impeach Sereno. Her testimony, aside from being supported with documentary evidence, is tremendously strong since the issues under question are matters precisely within her knowledge as she herself was a direct participant in those matters of administrative orders and TRO (temporary restraining order) resolutions — a firsthand knowledge by direct participation,” Gadon said. (Filane Mikee Cervantes/PNA)

Popular

PBBM to LGUs: Ensure efficient use of budget for community empowerment

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Wednesday urged local government units (LGUs) to ensure the prudent and...

ICC warrant vs. Bato ‘valid’ after SC rejection of TRO request —Palace

By Brian Campued The warrant of arrest issued by the International Criminal Court (ICC) against Sen. Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa is “valid,” according to Palace...

Updated cash aid, transport support discussed during 7th UPLIFT Committee meeting led by PBBM

By Brian Campued As part of the continuous whole-of-government efforts to protect Filipinos from the impact of Middle East tensions on energy, transport, and food...

PBBM earns praise for role as ‘peacemaker’ in PH, Thailand, and Cambodia talks

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Not long after decades of tension between Thailand and Cambodia boiled over in 2025 and resulted in months of trading gunfire...